Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Hay-!!!!

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  fergy 
#1 ·
Hay, Caution Folks, just got back from a 150 mi RT jot up to my dealer in Murfreesboro, Tn. and going my usual valley, ridge back roads I ran up on several farmers putting up hay, so watch out for the tractors, rakes, balers, and wagons on the roads...
Other than that and several groups of buzzards eating road kill...lol...nothing else...
Man those buzzards are dangerous too, they don't seem to like to fly away from lunch, and when they do you don't know which way they are going...
I hate it when one gets up in front and above, I can almost see him puking...yuk...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#3 · (Edited)
I've run into doves in the morning, sitting on the road. Got one once, wasn't pretty!

Groundhogs too this time of year. I hit one once, thought for sure it was going to end ugly, but I ran it over, while in a turn, and just kept on going.

#4 ·
If you think vultures are bad on the ground, you should try them in the air. Had a flight of 5 coming straight at me one day on a flight back from Knoxville. I figured what ever I did was going to be wrong so I did nothing. Two broke left one below and the other above the wing. One dove straight down and the other two broke right again one below the other above the wing. Wish I had a video camera.
Ron

#5 ·
Watch for crossing horses too, if you see a horse crossing sign, get on the breaks a little.

I flew over a hawk that was chilling at 1500 feet one morning. He was about 20 feet to my right and only about 30 feet down - he must've been just outside the downdraft. I looked down at him and went, "oh sh!t!" he looked right back up at me and went, "OH SH!T!!" He broke right and I broke left. I've been chased off the runway by geese too. I know they say they'll protect the wife until death but I put a 120 knot down wind in this damn things face and he didn't budge. I had to do a go-round - stupid bird...

#6 ·
Speaking of horses, if you happen to see a hint or tips of a pair of ears over the top or rise of a hill get on the brakes there also...lol...
I was riding with my best buddy back in the early 60s doing about a hundred ten in a 59 Chev. Imp. and fixing to cross a hill and get a good lift when he suddenly got on the brakes hard, we screeched to a near stop about a car length behind a wagon...
I ask how in the world did you know they were over the rise, he said I just thought I saw the tips of the mules ears...lol...

#8 ·
Speaking of horses, if you happen to see a hint or tips of a pair of ears over the top or rise of a hill get on the brakes there also...lol...
I was riding with my best buddy back in the early 60s doing about a hundred ten in a 59 Chev. Imp. and fixing to cross a hill and get a good lift when he suddenly got on the brakes hard, we screeched to a near stop about a car length behind a wagon...
I ask how in the world did you know they were over the rise, he said I just thought I saw the tips of the mules ears...lol...
Carzy kids!!! So you were young once, good to know. I'm actually really jealous you got to rock a freekin' '59 Impala. I'd kill to even sit in one. :beerchug:

That is how I hit a Hawk once it still had the road kill in its claws.
Hit it with the headlight and lower sheld, guy behind me sait it was a feather explosion and it was spiraling over his head screaming, so now you know how I got my road name.
I wish I had a video running as I was doing close to 60 when it happened.
Would be funny to watch now.
I remember that Spinner, you posted pics of the front of your bike before you washed it - it was a mess! Good work keeping it together during all that. :motorcycl

#7 ·
That is how I hit a Hawk once it still had the road kill in its claws.
Hit it with the headlight and lower sheld, guy behind me sait it was a feather explosion and it was spiraling over his head screaming, so now you know how I got my road name.
I wish I had a video running as I was doing close to 60 when it happened.
Would be funny to watch now.

#10 · (Edited)
^ Pff, you gotta be kiddin' me. I think I just drooled. I was definitely born in the wrong freekin' era! A 426 Hemi!!? That thing was a tank! And the 63 Ford, I don't even know what to say. The only redeeming thing I can take away is that in 1963 I was negative 16 years old. Yup, that's all I got.

Today's cars, even the new 'muscle' rebirths, are meer shadows of their former selves. My uncle had a forrest green Chevelle with a 454 when I was growing up. I used to spend hours with that thing even when I was like 11. I couldn't wait to turn 16 cause he told me I could drive it. He had to get rid of it when I was 14 because his son got in trouble and he needed the cash. I still think a part of my soul is missing.

A buddy at the aiport fired up his 69 Judge in the hangar, everyone covered their ears immediately. The thing sounded like a fricken' thunderstorm.

#11 ·
Those of us who grew up through the 60's really got to experience the prime time for muscle cars, IMO! I didn't get to own any of them until the mid 70's when I was old enough to drive, but there's something about all those 60's cars that will be special to me til I die. I owned a 61 Olds and a 69 Camaro and I'd trade every car I've owned since then to have either of them back!

#12 ·
^ A kindred spirit. I agree with everything Ferg, the 60's were it when it came to cars. I think the body shapes and colors went to hell in 1970 - across all manufacturers. A 1969 Chevy Camaro is my favorite car of all time, I can't believe you owned one. I saw one, totally original, mint condition, go for 1.2 at auction. I think I gagged. You can't get the body of a first gen Camaro for less 20k these days, its rediculous. Chip Foose's favorite car is the first gen Camaro too. He redid his 69, ever see it? Check it out:

http://www.ridelust.com/chip-foosepirelli-team-up-for-ford-flex-giveaway/

#13 ·
Wish I had mine Back

Purchased a 1964 Pontiac GTO, 3-2, 4 Speed, Triple Black,

Purchased a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere, 383, 4 speed.

Purchased a 1969 Z-28 Camaro, Green w/ White Stripes. 302, 4Barrell Holly, 4 Speed, this was my favorite it did not even start to run until it hit 4,000 rpm. Never found out how fast it was with the Speedo, since when I had the opportunity I had to drive with the lights out. Crown Vic. couldn't catch it.

#15 ·
I too would love to see photos of those. I know for me, the two 60's models I owned were back in the "Doug had no camera" era and the couple photos I remember of those cars had my girlfriend and future ex wife in them! (one in the same) That might be why I can't find them 20 years later...
So, here's a pic of what my 69 Camaro looked like. Mine was light blue with the same black hard top and almost the same wheels.

My 61 Olds Dynamic 88 was exactly like this one, minus the huge whitewalls. It was in like new condition when I bought it, 16 years old (the car--I was 17) for $150.

It had a 394 2bbl, automatic, working AC and a tube AM radio.

This car even had a classy rear end!

The folks who bought it new had that clear vinyl installed covering the seats when new, and it was still in pristine condition inside. One of my favorite things about it was the speedo. It was wide and linear, not circular, and a colored ribbon moved across under the numbers, starting out green until it reached about 50 mph, then the ribbon turned yellow, and at around 75 or 80 it turned red. There was a little knob up in the left corner of the dash that you could turn and the little window above it had numbers in it that changed as you turned the knob. You could set it on say, 55 or 60, and when the speedo reached that speed a little buzzer would start buzzing to remind you that you reached the set speed. Kind of like a poor mans cruise control... I was the second owner as they traded it in on a new 77 Chrysler Imperial if my memory doesn't escape me. Dad worked as the business manager at the shop and bought it for me as my first car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.