Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This is the first time I have posted in a while but I have finally had some time to try and tackle the main issue that is plaguing my vn750. The issue that I am having is after I have been riding the bike for a short time there will be a loud pop, that sounds like a back fire, and the bike will start to lose power until it just shuts down. When I try to start it again it will not start. After an extended period of time of sitting the bike will start and I can usually make it home. This has prevented me from taking the bike out anymore because I have been stranded on the side of the road several times because of of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I would want to see the charging voltage as the problem occurs.

Another thought, could be a problem with the CDI or other ignition part.

Possibly even a fuel delivery problem, or even POOGS. More info needed.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Based on what you wrote my guess is fuel is getting into the exhaust unburnt and banging off in the exhaust. Wouldn’t that sound like a spark issue?
When my stator crapped on me it banged once real loud and I watched the battery voltage die off. I got stranded and got a jump once but couldn’t keep restarting the bike just by letting it sit. It sounds like something could be getting fouled up as the bike heats up and cooling down let’s you get going again.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'd check POOGS first, since it's an easy thing to do. Just open the gas cap to release any negative pressure/vacuum that may have built up in the tank.
I don't think it's a charging issue since the bike will start later, so you're not sitting on a dead battery.
How far can can you ride before it dies, and how long do you have to wait before it will start again?

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
When I mentioned charging voltage I was thinking of the intermittent drop that some Vulcans experience. But now I remember that condition never causes a stall, just backfire and slight loss of power. The fix involves the Two-Wire mod, most likely cause is the JB relays.

POOGS does make the most sense so far, depending on further info. Next time it acts up, open the gas cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts