Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few different options are available on ebay.

Some include many washer/spacers...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251170405380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Some include two bearings & different pieces....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-KIT-Kawasaki-Motorcycle-VN750-Vulcan-VN-750-/280450779346?item=280450779346&vxp=mtr

What is this kit ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REPAIR-REBUILD-KIT-Kawasaki-VN700-VN750-Vulcan-ZG1000-Concours-/230847935668?item=230847935668&vxp=mtr

Anyone have experience rebuilding Starters ?
What parts/pieces are actually needed/utilized ?
Do the Bearings typically wear out ?

Pls share Any experience you may have - all info will be much appreciated.

thanks
:smiley_th

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Starters generally wear out the brushes and the holding springs get weak. What you are looking for is the brush plate and brushes, I wouldn't worry about the bushings/bearings unless the armature has excessive play and rattles. I was going to pick up the second kit for mine, use the plate, brushes and O-rings and pitch the rest. It is an easy job, the only hard part is getting the brushes on the armature during reassembly, but that's not that hard. Hope this helps.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
OK, your first link is the kit I "Just" used.
Everything in the kit is used when rebuilding your starter.
The bearing was a total pain in the a$$! Auto Zone has a "blind hole puller".
This is what you'll need to get the bearing out.
Everything else is pretty straight forward.
Clean the inside of the housing with some high grit sand paper & clean the armature this way as well. You want everything nice & fresh.

One tip I do have for you is when your putting the brushes in (there's four) if you have small clamps with rubber ends (as not to damage the new brushes), use four clamps to hold the brushes into their housing which is spring loaded while your re-assembling.

Trying to hold all four brushes & reassemble everything is next to impossible. I did it the first time but I couldn't tell you how.
I came up with the clamps this time & it worked slicker than snot! lol

Once the armature is in far enough to retain the brushes, release the clamps.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had my starter apart the other day. I skimmed and undercut the armature, but it was pretty good anyway. The bearings were fine. the brushes looked good and the springs were, well springy ! it was very dirty, and the bearings were a little dry. I cleaned everything up and put the brushes in first with the springs removed, assembled the brush plate on the commutator and then fitted the springs. It was a pretty easy job. fitted two new o rings and a little moly grease on the bearings. Slapped some black paint on it, job done.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Like everyone said, they are pretty easy to rebuild as long as you are organized taking it apart.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i rebuilt different starters before and most of the time brushes are the only thing that really wears on them

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Is this just a brush plate kit, or full kit with bushings?

·
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty much everything looks like. Im at the beach visiting folks and while i love the beach, man i hate wasting three good tinkering days.
LOL.....you know your priorities are in line ! .....enjoy the time with loved ones.

·
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Is this just a brush plate kit, or full kit with bushings?
I believe mine came with bushings, EDIT: Brush Plate & all. I have not needed to apply the kit yet, purchased it to have on hand if/when needed (avoid downtime).

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I feel the same way sometimes, why waste good daylight when you could be riding or getting ready to ride?

I can give pointers, but as I said, I've not been into a VN starter. One other poster had never done a starter but he dove in and came back saying it was pretty easy for him. Maybe someone else that's done one will come along and help out.

Looking at starter pics on Ebay, it looks like this starter is easy to open up. I don't think you're going to have the snap rings holding the gear onto the armature shaft, like most automotive ones do. You remove the two long bolts along each side, and then the end caps should slip off. Go slow with the rear one, the brush plate may come with it and the brushes are spring loaded. They'll pop out of place, don't worry about them. Watch for fiber washers, shim washers, any of that on the shaft.

Really, you just have to find the parts in the starter like the ones in the kit, and swap them. The brushes, if you didn't get a plate, will be riveted or screwed to the plate at the ends of the wires. Pay attention to how the brushes sit before removing, the angle on the end (if used) is important. Look at how the springs are arranged too.

The bushings, on each end of the shaft, in the end caps, you'll either bump them out, or catch an edge and fold the sides in, then pull them out. Depends how thick they are. Many times, a starter only needs brushes, but if the bushings are loose, the starter will drag. No way around it.

You have rubber o-rings, replace and give the new ones a coat of vaseline or grease before closing it up.

Then there's a whole lot of small pieces in the kit that I can't make out in the pics. Your original ones may be better quality than these replacements, have to use your own judgement there and find where they go.

The armature is the part with the iron shaft and copper windings on it, the main guts of the starter, the heaviest piece. On the end where the brushes ride, you'll see a sort of striped arrangement, gold/yellow and black/brown, this is alternating layers of brass and fiber/bakelite insulation material. IF this area shows a lot of wear, you may need to "cut" the fiber between each brass layer. Some scratches are totally normal, but if it's worn down smooth to where your fingernail won't catch in the grooves, it needs cut. Most armatures can go through several rebuilds without ever getting cut.

"Cutting" is simply using a thin hacksaw/jigsaw blade in hand and lightly grating away some of the black/brown insulating material so there's a noticeable but shallow groove between each layer of brass. I stress, not a lot of removal, just enough so your fingernail catches. Most of the time if it needs cut, the dark insulating material will be smeared across the brass. If you don't see this, and you can catch a nail in the grooves, it should be good to go. A lot of the time it's just dirt, carbon, and dust packed in the grooves, just clean it out.

Clean everything, get all the mud, grease, carbon, roadkill, out of there.

Look the armature over good and make sure there's no bad gouges or scrapes on the sides, same with the plates on the inside of the body. When bushings get loose, the armature can rub on those plates, hence a "dragging" starter. In the beginning, it's just the shaft dragging in the loose bushings. The worst damage comes from forcing the starter to keep going once it begins to die. People hit them with 24 volts, hammers, all sorts of tricks to get just one more start out it.

This is your chance to make a good starter rebuild video or pictorial, you don't have to be expert, just show us the parts. I'd love to be there when it comes apart.

·
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good write up...just follow these words, ...get your hands dirty...anyone can do this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts