Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I decided to buy that 2001 Vn750 mentioned before. I looked at it, when with a trailer. It was 70 miles eachway. I pulled the seat, check for any signs of battery acid, it has a new Advance Auto Parts battery. :( so i'll keep that til i have problems, then get the MF AGM. all the wiring looks great, nothing has been monkied with. all it needs is some TLC, dirty wheels, minor chrome polishing. The only two issues. The lock for the rear toolkit box fell out when the PO was riding. any ideas where to get a new one? and problem 2. The tach is loose, and slightly bent, i think it got bumped. any ideas on tightening that up? the paint is in great shape. 11,230 starting miles. I test rode it, got through all 5 gears. two new ties, (still have noogies!!!) We will pull the wheel, and check the splines and very soon. Pics to come!!!!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
The lock for the rear toolkit box fell out when the PO was riding. any ideas where to get a new one?
Ace, Home Depot, Sears, Lowes, maybe even wal-mart.. just look for a tool box/chest lock.

The tach is loose, and slightly bent, i think it got bumped. any ideas on tightening that up?
Take off the chrome cup from the tac, its held in by one phillips head screw. under neath the cup is a single 8mm nut. for the other end of the bracket, remove the black plastic cover from under the information center (gas gauge and idiot lights) then you will find two 8mm nuts 1 for the tac and one for the speedo, you might have to take off the tac nut so you can get the cup off enough to get to the bracket nut on the back of the tac, reassemble in the same order.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Get a drawer lock from a hardware store for $5.
Take the toolbox into the store make sure of the fit.
Put some silicone sealant on the locknut thread to prevent loss of this one.

Seems like someone tightened up a loose speedo or tach mount with a couple of rubber washers.
Anyone recall the details?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I stuck a 3/4" length of fuel hose between the instrument housing and tach to eliminate vibration. Forget who poted it origionally.

Someone also posted how to get the lock to fit the ignition key. Wib maybe?

·
Registered
738 Posts
... The tach is loose, and slightly bent, i think it got bumped. any ideas on tightening that up? ...
The tach on every VN750 built is loose. You need to add a damper to of some sort to compensate. Below is an excerpt from a thread originally started by Bordolover. His damper solution uses a simple piece of 3/4" fuel line. My response is included below his (in blue) to verify that it works great and takes only a few seconds to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordolover View Post
I am in the process of moving back to the states and while I was cleaning out the garage and disposing of the needless detritus acquired whilst bike wrenching, I came across a simple solution to my shaky tach. I cut a piece of fuel line about 3/4 inch long and slid it between the housing and the bracket from the dash. It fits perfect in the slot below the tach and blends in so well that it is not even noticeable while sitting on the bike. It is short enough that the sides of the opening in the tach housing hold it in place and it fixed my shaky tach issue....​

I can verify that this is a quick, inexpensive and easy way to stop the tachometer from wobbling. I purchased 4" of fuel line from Ace Hardware, cut 3/4", unscrewed the tachometer gauge cup (single screw in the back of the cup), let the gauge cup slide down to enlarge the opening between the gauge mounting bracket and the back of the gauge cup, slid in the 3/4" piece of fuel line and tightened the gauge cup screw. Tightening the gauge cup screw pinches the piece of fuel line and no more wobble!!! I trimmed the excess fuel line hanging out of the opening and now you can't tell it is there.

Thank you bordolover for this great tip!

I also found a use for the remaining fuel line.

I have read threads suggesting that the throttle cable which rubs against the front right spark plug boot can cause a short over time. So, I used the remaining fuel line to cover the cable just above the spark plug boot. Just slice the fuel line, wrap it around the cable and let the friction between the cable and spark plug boot hold it in place. Hopefully this will eliminate the possibility of a future electrical short.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Sunny day!

Just waxed the tank, and polished all the chrome parts!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good looking bike...very clean! Get those fluids changed. That was the first thing I did. Oil/Filter, coolant & brake fluid is cheap. Congrats and keep the shiny side up and dirty side down! :beerchug:

I guessing I am in the minority here, however, I haven't cleaned my bike since I got it home 5 months ago...been to busy riding it :loser1: !

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive changed the oil/filter, changed brake fluid, and the coolant looks really clean. next is the final drive oil, and the spline lube!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts