Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I saw a thread in the verses about hauling a vulcan in the back of a ranger. I have a ranger and a question. Can the tailgate hold the weight without damaging the truck? Apparently it is 6 ft 5 inches or so from front tire to rear contact patch...so some of the bike is on the tailgate. I have two cables that hold the tailgate on. Should i reinforce them somehow and buy a nice big hog ramp?
or ...buy a trailer and clog up my garage with yet another item due to the fact that i have a home owners association and cant leave the trailer outside.
I want to be able to ride the bike up into my bed. Independence baby.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I use a ramp and my sportster (a shade heavier & about the same length) seems to load & ride ok even streight in my chevy crew cab, which I think my bed is 6'-8"...
Ramps are easy if you find a small depression for the rear tires, or a little rise for the bottom of the ramp to rest on...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I've done both in my ranger king cab short bed stepside 2000 model. straight in and on the tailgate for a short haul, but I angled it from toledo to chillicothe (3 hour drive) with the tailgate shut. I back up to a small hill with the tailgate down and a small board or ramp is all I need.

·
Registered
293 Posts
A friend of mine got a 3/4" sheet of plywood and cut it to the length of the bed + tailgate of his chevy colorado. Helps take some of the weight off the tailgate and keeps it from flopping up and down when hitting large bumps. He hauls his VTX 1300 on it with no problems. I've hauled my 750 in it that way for the 5 hour drive to my parent's house in WV. Cheaper than a trailer and leans up against the wall or lays in the floor of the garage.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
OR move to a neighborhood,where people mind there own business and buy what you want!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Ok. I saw a thread in the verses about hauling a vulcan in the back of a ranger. I have a ranger and a question. Can the tailgate hold the weight without damaging the truck? Apparently it is 6 ft 5 inches or so from front tire to rear contact patch...so some of the bike is on the tailgate. I have two cables that hold the tailgate on. Should i reinforce them somehow and buy a nice big hog ramp?
or ...buy a trailer and clog up my garage with yet another item due to the fact that i have a home owners association and cant leave the trailer outside.
I want to be able to ride the bike up into my bed. Independence baby.
Fix a roll up door to the bedroom.

·
Rogue Warrior
130 Posts
A friend of mine got a 3/4" sheet of plywood and cut it to the length of the bed + tailgate of his chevy colorado. Helps take some of the weight off the tailgate and keeps it from flopping up and down when hitting large bumps. He hauls his VTX 1300 on it with no problems. I've hauled my 750 in it that way for the 5 hour drive to my parent's house in WV. Cheaper than a trailer and leans up against the wall or lays in the floor of the garage.
X2, I was going to suggest the 3/4" plywood also.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I will probably save up and get a hog ramp due to its aluminum total wt of 68lbs...it can break down and fits in the cab! Plywood sounds good... and i would leave the tailgate down. Or it sounds like it could put the bike in angled..and shut the tailgate. Not sure how my windshield would hold up at an angle on the freeway though.
Very funny nite!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when angling the bike...do you strap the the handlebars etc the same? left to front left..rt to front rt....

·
Registered
721 Posts
i had a 94 ranger with a 7 foot bed... hauled the ranger FINE~

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Fix a roll up door to the bedroom.
That would give a whole new meaning to "riding the wife" or whatever, lol. But then again, the bike won't nag nag and nag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I bought my first VN750 I borrowed my sisters 93 Ranger and the bike fit in straight with the tailgate up. There was about 1/2" left over.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. I figured out and option. Buy the expensive hog ramp(aluminum light wt). My big worry was if the tailgate cables would snap at 750lbs plus wt ..when i was riding up the ramp. So , i wanted to reinforce them some how...I believe I will be using a 1000lb cargo strap or two...wrapped around the tailgate and hooked on the inside hole of the corner of the bed. This, in the event of the cable snapping or would assist the wt load and allow me to drive up without worry. I will take pictures of what i am talking about and see if i can post them.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
i don't think you would have to worry about the cable snapping on the Tailgate. My dad and I used to put Big Block Chevy Engines onto his tail gait on his Ranger while getting them ready to crate up. I used to use a Ford Curier to haul my bikes around, I loaded a a GL1100 fully dressed into the back of it once for my aunt... We drove it right up the ramp and parked it diagonal with out any problems...
The thing I would be worried about is the ramp kicking back. make sure you get a ramp that can anchor to the bed of the truck while loading... having a ramp kick out when you are half way up is no fun.
If in the event your tailgate does fail, if the ramp is secured you will; only have a 6" drop... the tail gate won't fall all the way to the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool. Thanks! The ramp comes with straps to tie into the bumper...which keeps everything together.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I couldnt live without my truck, problem is now I am outgrowing my ranger! looking at the silverado z71's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts