Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this because I've seen on some different threads some people using Harley shocks to get that lowered rear but I found these 10" shocks for a sportster and was wondering if they would even fit up, and If someone would have any advice for getin lowered rear without putting in struts, thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm pretty sure they will fit without to much work. You might need to drill out the eye or change out the grommet.. Do a search here at vn I remember a few threads on sportster and Dyna shocks.. one thing you might want to keep in mind is a 2 or 2.5 inch drop may be a little low for the vn. I hear a lot of vn riders going to 11" shocks and dropping the front forks to keep the geometry right with no issues but doing the same with 10" might make it suck going around the turns and bends.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
sportser shocks are direct bolt up.. i dropped my rear a total of 4" with out the need to drop the front... but i suggest having the progressive springs on hand in case you don't like the way it handles.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I installed a set of Progessive 412 lowering shocks that come off of a Sportster. The mounting eyes were slightly larger than the mounting bolts on the VN750 and I have had no issues of the shock mounts moving. I also raised the forks to level out the bike and she handles like a dream.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I'll keep you posted with my results but it looks like I'm Getin those shocks

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
i used suzuki savage shocks which are about 10.5" if i remember corectly.i also raised the forks about 1.5" and she handles fine:smiley_th

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did those savage shocks bolt right up or did you have to fab the to fit, and what year should I pull them of of if I do try the savage shocks..

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
All Savage/LS650/S40 shocks are the same all years. Watch out for corners and speed bumps.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
jeryy, dropping 2-3" on the rear doesn't effect cornering or bumps that great.. there is almost 8" of room between the tire and fender. and dropping the rear 2-3" only drops the pegs 1 inch if that much. now, dropping the front and rear 2" will drop the pegs down enough to start worrying about twisties...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
All Savage/LS650/S40 shocks are the same all years. Watch out for corners and speed bumps.
corners are fine but i don't ride my bike like a gixxer.i have only rubbed my pegs once,but i was getting real agressive.speed bumps are rough on everything,but yes it is not as smooth as stock,but any lowered shock will be rougher than stock,because of the limited travel.no they didn't need any mods.they just bolted up.:smiley_thlike Jerry said any year will work

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
here is a few pics of my bike with savage shocks

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
The OEM shocks on my 09 custom sportster were 11-3/4" eye to eye... Don't know much about the other years or mod. lengths, but I do think they are different for different ones... I do know that the 09s had what was supposed to be improved suspension... The forks on my 09 are Showa, not sure about the shocks though... I will look and see later though and let you know...
PS-Checked and couldn't find a brand name on the shocks...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts