Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old mufflers had rotted of so i replaced them with a set of harley mufflers i got for 10$ a piece. I was wondering if these will provide more or less back pressure. they do seems a more quiet but could be because they end about a 1" infrom the back tire. i currently have my air screws a 2 turns and seems to run ok but with these mufflers should i adjust at all? the numbers off the mufflers are 64842-04 HARXL/S/883/1200. Thanks now i'll sit back and have a beer for every reply i get tonight lol

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Depends....do you still have your goatsbelly ?...and are the mufflers 100% stock ? Most used Harley muffs have had the baffles removed...if not sure, a baffled Harley has a solid plate about 8" from the back. My Sportster muffs increased backpressure, but they were fully baffled, which is rare for used. Unbaffled wil have about the same as Kawi stock, and mostly just make the tone deeper due to a larger chamber.
Check for the baffle...if not happy with sound or performance, just drill a 3/8" hole in each baffle plate (you can always close it up with a self tapping screw), or add more holes if desired/needed.

This is what your mufflers should sound like if baffled and no belly...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=48ba4f8f6e9352e1de7ee15beaa005e9&loc=http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19429&page=7&v=1&libid=1339551752835&out=http://raf-2ndlieutenant.xanga.com/audio/cc7153999607/&ref=http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19429&page=8&title=Hey all, Im Wolfie... - Page 7 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums&txt=http://raf-2ndlieutenant.xanga.com/audio/cc7153999607/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13395517605461

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
goats belly still in and the harley mufflers are stock still have the baffles. i don't mind the sound little on the quiet side which is ok for my neighborhood. Thanks for the reply, mighty put some holes in them and to get close to the stock back pressure

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
certified bike yesterday now need stickers. removed baffle didn,t seem to make the bike much louder closer to stock just a little deeper sound. front cylinder exhaust seems to be running slightly higher temp then the back probably because that side was sitting in the sun all morning. on another note found some tomato and mint plant growing in the back yard where a raked out our 7 year old copost pile this spring! lol

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
on another note found some tomato and mint plant growing in the back yard where a raked out our 7 year old copost pile this spring!
...yaaa, thats happened to me a few times...usually with potatoes though...all you need is some peppers now, and you can make a tomato-mint salsa ! (sounds strange, but the mint makes the peppers hotter !)...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi.
I got a set of HD mufflers acctually from a guy on this site, I live in the uk and so I dont need the emission control stuff or the premuffler box.
I av done away with all that and jut put my HD mufflers on they are fantastic and the bike is more responsive now and runs better then it ever did, aprt from my carbs leaking fuel but thats a float needle.

Exhaust are fine !

Chris
Mcr UK

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi.
I got a set of HD mufflers acctually from a guy on this site, I live in the uk and so I dont need the emission control stuff or the premuffler box.
I av done away with all that and jut put my HD mufflers on they are fantastic and the bike is more responsive now and runs better then it ever did, aprt from my carbs leaking fuel but thats a float needle.

Exhaust are fine !

Chris
Mcr UK
Hi Chris yeah I have a set of HD mufflers to put on when I get around to it. :)

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Get the TOC ones posted here elsewhere, or if yer handy, make yer own like many of us did...you wont regret, I guarantee !...but that sounded like a tap dancer in that engine closeup....these will fix all straight away...a much needed mod for older bikes or bikes with high miles....:smiley_th

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i just retensioned the acct on the front cyllynder but just curious can 3 full turn over tension the spring b4 setting the plunger if so i'll just go back to one full turn. think i'm gonna repull it tommorrow both sides getting dark now. thanks the bike has close to 33000 miles i know my carbs make a swooshing sound but i beleive they are supposed to

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "retensioning"...did you take it apart and manually spin the spring ?...you need to have it tensioned so it pushes couterclockwise more. I can see it working "sometimes", and is I suppose a variation of the Grambo Trick.....but I listened to your second video...its still WAY too loud. If youre fearful of installing the MCCTs, then just replace the ACCTs with new ones from a dealer, but really, in your case, its so loud that you may be doing damage to your engine....your cam chain is just slapping around.
Here's a thought...find 2 used ACCT housings, do the MCCT mod on them and try it...if youre not happy, you can easily repace with the stock.
What you can try also, is to remove the existing ACCT....wash the insides out well with kerosene to ensure no sludge remains, then reinstall. If you still get the noise, then the spring is beyond help, or the cam chain itself has worn beyond reprieve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have Harley screaming eagle II on my bike, built a crossover with the factory header pipes right above the mid stand and she runs perfect.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Not fer nuthin too, but the stock Vulcan muffs are butt-ugly...look like a trade school kid made em...rough welds, sharply angled corners, etc and so on and so forth.

built a crossover with the factory header pipes right above the mid stand and she runs perfect.
Because pipe lengths are closer to equal length...plus, the Harley pipes then mount as designed to.....nice move :smiley_th

1 - 17 of 17 Posts