Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been chewing on windshield lowers for the last week or so, and finally figured it out yesterday at work... :smiley_th

Started looking at the Memphis shades lowers. First, I was a little irritated at the price of their hardware kits. Then, I realized that I had a tinted National Cycle windshield, and the chances of the Memphis "Solar" lowers matching the windshield didn't seem likely. Next, I looked at the National Cycle lowers - chrome, cool! $145 !?! Not cool. Back to the drawing board I went. Did some digging on the various other forums and saw several folks to went the DIY route like Lance & Kanuck, and several others who found ways to adapt the Harley 58121-85B Wind Deflectors. I really liked the way the chrome looked, the shape of the pieces, the price wasn't ridiculous, and there's a Harley dealership locally.

So, with a bit of confidence in yesterday's conclusion about mounting the Harley lowers, I toodled off to the local scrapyard for some 1" angle iron. Settled on 1/8" thick angle, had the guy whack off a couple 10" long pieces, and away I went.

The first one took a little over an hour to cut, fit to the bike, & whatnot. Then the little one & I headed off to the Harley dealership. That was...interesting. First time I actually stepped foot into a Harley dealership. I was kinda looking for lightning bolts when I reached for the door handle, but alas, I escaped unscathed with parts in hand. Was kinda entertaining, they were having a motorcycle rodeo in the parking lot, and we watched a few of the slow races.

With the lowers at home, I got the two mounting holes figured out & drilled. Replicating the other side with a pattern in hand went a whole lot faster. Primer & paint were interspersed between various trips & breaks, and the last trip was to the local hardware store for the mounting hardware - $15 for 4, count 'em FOUR, stainless button head cap screws, acorn nuts, flat washers, and lock washers. That part pissed me off, but galvanized wasn't going to cut it...

The upper mounting hole was a tight fit with the screws coming through from the inside, and in retrospect, I should have just went with hex head screws instead of the cap screws, but hindsight continues to reign victorious.

All mounted up, here's how she looks now:

Definite improvement in buffeting and totally worth it. Between this and the Pro-Tac backrest, I might actually get dad riding the old girl again!

All rolled up, including gas to the various shops & so forth, ended up coming in under $100 for this project. I'd say that makes for a darn good Saturday...

:beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Nice job.

I always found much more satisfaction in doing a DIY project for some bike addition than just picking some bolt on accessory off a shelf. (and we all know how many aftermarket stuff is available for the 750)

The only thing that concerned me over the chrome lowers was the thought it might blind oncoming cars when the sun was at the right angle.

But it looks good on your bike with the windscreen you have.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job.

I always found much more satisfaction in doing a DIY project for some bike addition than just picking some bolt on accessory off a shelf. (and we all know how many aftermarket stuff is available for the 750)

The only thing that concerned me over the chrome lowers was the thought it might blind oncoming cars when the sun was at the right angle.

But it looks good on your bike with the windscreen you have.
Thanks, I kinda feel bad about "buying" the lowers, but the old man is remarkably more in tune to how things look than how they function. I certainly didn't pick the aesthetic theme for this one, but I am trying to respect it regardless of whether it's my first choice or not. And at the end of the day, dad's happy both with how it looks and how it rides - and that's what really matters. And, I'll admit it, as much as I'm not a leather, studs, & chrome kind of guy, I was pretty pleased with the result all things considered.

With that in mind, went to the scrap yard with a buddy this morning who was going to try the true DIY Lexan route with his Shadow Sabre. After exchanging texts later in the day, score: me 1, him 0...but he gets props for trying.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give this project a 5 for difficulty, just for the criticality of getting the hole spacing and alignment right and making sure the the left & right side are congruent and parallel with the fork tubes. With a pattern for the dimensions, I'd call it a 3. Just need a good center punch, drill press, the right size drill bits, and a grinder with extra cutting wheel & sanding pads. Pretty sure I wrote down the dimensions somewhere, perhaps I can whip out a schematic in Paint if anyone's interested...?

I hadn't really considered other cars on the roads to be honest, but after watching dad tool around on it tonight, I've got to believe that solar reflection to oncoming traffic will rarely be a significant issue, if at all. Guess time will tell...

Givi E21s are coming soon, I promise! Those should sufficiently ruin the leather & chrome look, LOL!

;)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Did your use regular low carbon steel angle iron, stainless or aluminum?
Could you show some pics of how the lowers are actually attached to the forks?
Thanks. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did your use regular low carbon steel angle iron, stainless or aluminum?
Could you show some pics of how the lowers are actually attached to the forks?
Thanks. :smiley_th
Just used standard carbon steel. You can get the same stuff at Lowes or Ace Hardware, but at the scrapyard it was only $2.35 cut to length.

Bike's at dad's for the week, or at least the next few days so no more pics for a while. However, in pics 3 & 4 you can see the black painted bracket that the deflector is bolted into. It's attached to the upper and lower triple tree pinch bolts.

And yes, they do make a wonderful difference in wind deflection! :smiley_th

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks really nice..Have the same color on my 03..Did you add the engine guard & pegs? If so, can you recommed wher to get them?..Also like you windshild choice. What model did you choose?

Thanks,
Strider

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks really nice..Have the same color on my 03..Did you add the engine guard & pegs? If so, can you recommed wher to get them?..Also like you windshild choice. What model did you choose?

Thanks,
Strider
Thanks, the engine guard & pegs were on her when we bought it, but they are the OE Kawi parts. The windshield is a National Cycle product (model number in my signature) with the light smoke tint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts