Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anybody have opinions on the dyna superglide? I have joined a biker gang called Cowtown meetup and they mostly ride harleys....i am one of a handful that ride metric. Are they overrated or overpriced? You can get one on craigslist used....
Just curious. Maybe harleys get more chics....

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's all in the vibration dude. Gotta rig up a gyro on our bikes to give them more vibe. lol

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol!!!!!

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
If i were going to go harley I would either go 1200 sportster or a full-on geezer glide.

·
IBEW 915 Electrician
115 Posts
Never rode a Harley but I like the Dyna Glide and saw a '99 at the local dealer when I went to pick up my VN750 yesterday. I sat on the bike and it felt good but the weight of the bike, top heavy I guess, was too much. Probably 150lbs more than my Vulcan. It was priced $4600. I like the bike.

I'm 5'9', 150lbs, and the VN suits me fine. I'm staying metric.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I am going to Lubbock, yes looking at some 1200 sporties. Hope to find one.
If you want one kimmer and you can swing it, go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much different are the sporties from the dynas?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
It's all in the vibration dude. Gotta rig up a gyro on our bikes to give them more vibe. lol
Ha, ha, I have the 09 xl1200 Sportster and they have the rubber engine mounts, but I still like my gel gloves...lol...
I won't comment on the bigger bikes because I don't have nor want one, the Sportster is as big as I want...
I may be an old geezer, but I don't want no geezer glide, besides I can blow their doors...lol...
Before I got the Sportster I did look at a used (06 good buy too) Dyna, and sit on it but that cured me, didn't even want to test ride it as offered...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Ehhh.........
Never had a Harley, never plan too..... Seems like it's more about image and marketing than building a quality bike.....IMHO.
It's all about the brand.....EVERYONE knows the Harley name. I've had people come up to me in parking lots and say "Hey, nice bike. Is it a Harley?" Sometimes I just say "Yeah, it's a Harley" and sometimes I tell them it's a Vulcan. "Humm....never heard of that one."
So, if you are looking for the Biker Image....get the Harley. I guess it depends on who you are trying to impress....

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
How much different are the sporties from the dynas?
On the sporty you will still be looking for that 6 th gear.

I rode a friends dana low ride. It was low and rather easy to ride. Way more power than you will ever need and his is a 6 speed. His is a 1500 cc.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dyna

I rode a friends dana low ride. It was low and rather easy to ride. Way more power than you will ever need and his is a 6 speed. His is a 1500 cc.
yup ..thats why i was looking at the dyna...6speed and plenty of power. I would get a flat black or something. I just want dark and plain...don't care about all the frilly stuff.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I would like to add that my friend took his dyna back and had them turn it down cause he was afraid to kill himself on it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have a friend with a dyna and it is much quicker than his brothers full on Dresser.That being said I have owned Harleys ,Hondas,A Yamaha, one Can Am and liked them all.I am not a motorcycle snob in either direction .If it has two wheels I generally can find something to like about it.The dyna is faster than you might think.It definitely has longer legs than our VN's along with a better ride.I have been looking at bikes myself lately and the biggest reason is comfort.I love the VN for it's quickness and handling.But it does have a somewhat choppy ride.I have decided to wait till I find the ONE ,you know when you look at it you think involuntarily "I WANT it".I'll run into it before long and hopefully I can have a third bike(counting the old Honda 750 /4 Project bike).If not I'll part with the the Vulcan and go with another Dresser either a Nomad or a Road King probably dictated by Price and the above mentioned "want factor"

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Welllllllll, my 1200 is at 63-64 mph @ 3k rpm, real strong in 5th though, but on the other hand 1st seems quite a bit higher geared than our vn750s also...
The 883s run a bit different gearing setup and are a bit lower geared...
My 1200 has the stage 1 setup and recalabrate on the ECM and I have seen 7k + on the tack... It is still very strong at 100 mph + which is near 5k rpm... Stock Sportsters are about 5.8-6k rpm limited, I think...
If you are buying new the 883s are probably the best buy as 09s 883 Customs were $7k vs 1200 Custom @ $10k MSRP, and later when you want more or new you can get the 1200 & 1250 jug & piston kits, as that, other than the bit of gearing difference & chromed up engine is about the all differences in the 883 & 1200s...
PS-There are some others here on the forum that have Sportsters also, maybe they will chime in, I've only had mine for a year & 7,500+ mi. this month...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The one guy I've known that owned one complained about the comfort of the ride. He had no complaints about the speed of the bike, but he sold it because he wanted a more comfortable ride, especially for longer trips.

·
Expert Advice Giver
152 Posts
I've ridden a Dyna Wide Glide, Heritage Softail Classic, Night Train and a few others. On a short trip (less than 200 miles) or on twisties, I would rather be on my VN750 no question about it. I have a Triumph Rocket III now. I wouldn't give you $500 for any Harley. That's just my opinion. Some of them are cute with their little V-Twin. LOL Go rent one for a day and see if you like it. Everybody has their preferences, you need a bike that suites you. I like a cruiser that hits 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. That ain't everybody's desire.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I've ridden a Dyna Wide Glide, Heritage Softail Classic, Night Train and a few others. On a short trip (less than 200 miles) or on twisties, I would rather be on my VN750 no question about it. I have a Triumph Rocket III now. I wouldn't give you $500 for any Harley. That's just my opinion. Some of them are cute with their little V-Twin. LOL Go rent one for a day and see if you like it. Everybody has their preferences, you need a bike that suites you. I like a cruiser that hits 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. That ain't everybody's desire.
I would love to ride a Rocket III,but I am just not sure I have enough self restraint to keep it from helping me to the grave.That is one hoss of a bike . It is the equivalent to the old musclecars in the bike world.Have fun and be safe.

·
Expert Advice Giver
152 Posts
I sounded a bit like a bike snob, just passionate about motorcycling. I have taken a lot of abuse, for 16 years, from my good friends who all ride HD's. They thought the VN750 wasn't a bike I guess, and I ran circles around them all the time. To me the slow, loud, and shiny ain't always the best. My wife had a Sportster before I got the VN750. She couldn't wait for me to get the Rocket, so she could take over the VN750 :) The VN750 is a great bike. Period. That's my opinion and my ideas. Some people like to putter around. I say putter on! Just respect the other guy on 2 wheels. :beerchug: Ride safe and ride to live!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
mgough983, if you read my post correctly, I was not trashing any bike...
I was replying mostly to the 5th gear thingy and giving the facts about the rpm in 5th on the Sportster vs the VN750... I only stated facts that I knew about the Sportster, which was the bike in question... I have owned 3 VN750s, and loved 2 out of the 3, and would have bought a new one last year but couldn't find an 09 anywhere...lol...
So at age 72 I thought the Sportster is close to the VN750, think I will try one, I did and I kinda like it... I will be 74 in Dec. and don't know if I will have another bike, nor what it would be if I did, but I would at least think it would be what I thought I wanted, but that is why they make chocolate and that other stuff (never could spell vanilla)...
Besides, at my age and strength I could not pick up a real heavy bike if I got it down (oh, I do that too, every once and again, haven't had the Sportster down yet though, "knock wood")...lol...
BTW-I am not a real speedster as such, but I do like to feel the turns in the mountain twisties, sometimes scaring myself a bit (even scratching me & the bike up a time or two)...lol...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts