Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really liked the look of the Harley crash bars a lot more than the little one made for the Vulcan 750. I have been studying the one on my friends Ultra Classic for a few months and I finally decided I could make it work. I found one on Ebay for $44 and here is what I did:

I installed a longer bolt through the left side foot peg bracket then slid the mount for the crash bar on the longer bolt and used a lock washer and a bolt to secure it.

I made a template for a bracket to bolt to the 2 engine mount bolts on the right side and extend down to the mount on the crash bar then I had a friend of mine at work fabricate it from 1/4" steel and I used longer bolts to go through it and the engine mounts.

To mount the top center of the crash bar I removed the radiator cover and removed the 2 top bolts that secure the radiator to the frame I replaced the bolts with studs and used a nut to secure the radiator.

Then I drilled holes in the radiator cover for the studs to go through

I reinstalled the radiator cover and put a nut and a lock washer on each stud

Then I made another bracket with holes in the top to slide on the studs and one at the bottom to bolt to the center crash bar mount. I put a lock washer and nut on the studs in front of the plate and tighted the back nut against the plate and tightened the front nut against the plate to hold it in place.

And here it is all mounted with my new foot pegs so I can stretch my legs. I love it and I think it looks great!!!!!!!!!!

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Yeah it does look great. Nice work. I don't mind the stock vn E guard but but what you've done is definitely an upgrade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. One other thing I forgot to mention is that it doesn't interfere at all with the bike leaning the driver footpegs hit the ground at exactly the same time as the crash bar

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks. One other thing I forgot to mention is that it doesn't interfere at all with the bike leaning the driver footpegs hit the ground at exactly the same time as the crash bar
Yes, but the footpegs are hinged to fold back and up when they scrape.
IMHO the so called "crash guard" will act more like a hard part and take you down.

I thought I wanted some case guards similar to those too.
I now think the outer lower corners need to curve up sooner to avoid scraping in a hard turn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but the footpegs are hinged to fold back and up when they scrape.
IMHO the so called "crash guard" will act more like a hard part and take you down.

I thought I wanted some case guards similar to those too.
I now think the outer lower corners need to curve up sooner to avoid scraping in a hard turn.
True about the pegs folding but the kickstand hits at the same time on the left side. Besides if I ever lean the bike far enough to scrape the pegs I will probably crap my pants right before I have a heart attack then I won't care if it takes me down.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I think it looks greats. My only concern is the strenght of the studs at the radiator. Are they strong enough to keep the guard in place during a fall?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it looks greats. My only concern is the strenght of the studs at the radiator. Are they strong enough to keep the guard in place during a fall?
Hopefully I will never find out, but before I made the top mount and the right side bracket I had it mounted just by the bolt on the left side and it held in place by itself which made it a lot easier to design the right side bracket. I think the studs would probably at least bend if not break if it fell hard but would be fine if I dropped it.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Hopefully I will never find out
I hope you never find out either. I found out a few months ago that the Kawa F&S Engine Guard is SOLID when I dumped my scoot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry you had to discover that the hard way. Sounds like the bike made it out ok and I hope you are too and I wish you many more years of happy riding

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
True about the pegs folding but the kickstand hits at the same time on the left side. Besides if I ever lean the bike far enough to scrape the pegs I will probably crap my pants right before I have a heart attack then I won't care if it takes me down.
Lmao!!

Well, if you're not into deep leaning then you should be fine, lol, and it really does look sweet on there. :smiley_th

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yes, but the footpegs are hinged to fold back and up when they scrape
Ya'll must be crazy on the little bike cause I have to yet not scraped my pegs in a corner and I've had some guys on crotch rockets call me stupid for some of the cornering we did together. Any body got video of them scraping the 750 pegs, I'd lover to see it. Don't guess I'll ever get that crazy, all though we have a few 20 mph hair pen curves here that i've done 50 mph around, with a little slipping of the rear tire ofcourse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts