Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly new-to-me '94 750 with 13K miles on it. Ever since I've had it its been very hard to cold start. It had sat with bad gas in it so I have the carbs rebuilt. The bike runs much better now but the cold start problem isn't any better. Basically, if I use any choke at all it will not start and if I do get it started, adding choke will kill it. The only way to start it is to turn the idle up real high and keep the choke off. Once the bike warms up it runs well. I had the guy who rebuilt the carbs tune then.

What could need to be done to make it not so hard to start?

-Robert

·
Registered
175 Posts
sounds like maybe the choke plungers are sticking or not adjusted tight enough ... i would take back to guy who did carbs and tell him to find and fix the problem (if you paid that is)

if not then you could just give me the bike and i will gladly ride it around lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I didn't have time to do it myself (I would have enjoyed it but was too busy). I paid full California retail for the work, $375.

-Robert

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see the right side plunger and it appears to move easily when the choke is used.

-Robert

sounds like maybe the choke plungers are sticking or not adjusted tight enough ... i would take back to guy who did carbs and tell him to find and fix the problem (if you paid that is)

if not then you could just give me the bike and i will gladly ride it around lol

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
I discovered the best way to start mine when it's cold is to turn it over and the moment it tries to start, fully engage the choke. It fires right up and if I've adjusted the idle will continue to run. If I try to choke it once it's running, it will die.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The carb clearly isn't correct. Even when I do get it started cold it crackles and pops all the time. Once its warm it run ok (not great) but if you shut it down you can't get it to start again. I'll take it back to the shop that rebuilt the carb. Hopefully they can fix it. Otherwise I'm probably out another $300 or so.

If this fails; are there any resources online that anyone would recommend that I could mail my carbs off to and have them redone?

-Robert

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Yes: carbworx.com They charge around $40/cerb plus parts and shipping to clean and refurbish.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sux! Just got a call from the shop. They found that the plugs were fouled (duh) and are charging me to replace the plugs. The problem is that the plugs were brand new when I brought the bike to them to have the carbs rebuild last month. The few times in my life that I've taken any kind of vehicle to a shop they've always messed it up. I should have just done the carbs myself but didn't think I had the time. Now I'm into this more than $400 and I'll still end up having to send the carbs off to carbworx.com

-Robert

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
As I see it, you can take it standing up or laying down.

·
Super Moderator
11,832 Posts
This sux! Just got a call from the shop. They found that the plugs were fouled (duh) and are charging me to replace the plugs. The problem is that the plugs were brand new when I brought the bike to them to have the carbs rebuild last month. The few times in my life that I've taken any kind of vehicle to a shop they've always messed it up. I should have just done the carbs myself but didn't think I had the time. Now I'm into this more than $400 and I'll still end up having to send the carbs off to carbworx.com

Then you knew better already.... ;)

The shop charged you 100 bucks to change the plugs?

It always boils down to your time or your money. I usually figure my time is cheaper....but there are some things I just rather not get involved with...if I have the money.

KM

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, $88 to change the plugs (parts and labor).
Interestingly, when I got there I spoke with the owner's son. The shop has been a marine shop but the son it starting the bike business with it. Not sure who I spoke with before. When I got there I got a totally different story from the son. He said the choke is working fine and I can/should use it as Kawi intended (the first guy said to never use the choke which I read as the bike is so rich at idle its already got a choke mixture).

He mentioned that they'd idled the bike for almost an hour and took it on a couple rides. I asked him to pull a plug while I was there and it was clean. The bike runs awesome right now, even idles better and doesn't hunt for idle. So I'm not sure if the guy who called me was just an idiot or if they realized something was still wrong after my call and then fixed it. Not sure what could have caused it to run so rich other than not putting the carb back together correctly; but they could have somehow hooked up the intake in a way that was restricting it, thus causing the richness.

In anycase, I don't know what they did but for now it appears to be running well. The son actually seems to know a lot about motorcycle carburation and it apparently deeply involved in racing bikes and tuning carbs for racing. I got a good feeling about him.

So for now I'll just ride it and keep an eye on the plugs. The only other outside possibility I can think of is an intermittent coil problem that could be causing the plugs to occasionally load up. Not likely, but possible.

Hopefully I'll be ready to ride for this summer (even California winters are too cold for me to ride; I don't know how the winter rides do it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts