Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Hard to start after bike has sat....???

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mazdaracer4fun 
#1 ·
any reasons why after 2 weeks my bike is hard to start???? takes forever to get it fired up, but after it does its fine as long as i fire it up once every 3 days or so.

??? anyone?

do i have it set to rich?

Will
440-341-7755

1994 VN750
HAS VERY CLEAN carbs! lol so i know thats not the issue.

#2 ·
Have you checked the petcock? If it's leaking a bit, it might be flooding the carbs after a certain time.

Mine did this and the petcock was letting gas into the carbs even when it was off. It happened faster for me, but maybe yours has a smaller leak/is letting fewer gas in.

Just something to look into, just in case.

Also might be the battery. Even if the voltage checks out ok, on those days that it's hard to start, jump it with a car battery (with the car OFF), and see if it starts better.

#5 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Well, I said to try another battery anyway because I've had a battery once before that showed good voltage but still didn't work right... voltage was right, but wasn't putting out enough amps.

I dunno about other places, but I´ve seen petcock rebuild kits on ebay. Somebody else here might know of other places though.

#8 ·
From this thread... Might be something to look at.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875

Hot start problems VN750 2002 12500 miles. Solution: There are 5 proposed fixes in the verses. I applied 4 of them in sequence as follows:
1) Installed new battery. Old battery was still in acceptable range but not knowing its exact age I chose to switch it out. Sealed type battery of course.
2) Relocated the Regulator/Rectifier to side(per Forum sketches/pictures)
3)Put in new Iridium plugs. $7 a piece from Advace Auto Parts
4)Adjusted the pickup coil gaps. The top coil was at .030 and the bottom was over .040...which was probably the culprit. This solved my problem.

#10 ·
UPDATE : after talking with "LANCE" aka Ron, (very insightful guy btw!) he recommended i try again after i heated up my garage before trying to fire it up and VOILA! fired Right up no hesitation. i do however have to rebuild the petcock as it leaks if i mess with the valve and going to get the NGK plugs he recommended i get for it.

will post the part # soon as i find the paper i wrote it on lol

Thanks a million Ron, i really thought cold air helped with combustion.. guess theres a fine line on what temp it goes the other way. hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.