Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1980 vulcan750
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 89 750 yesterday.the rear brake light doesnt come on just by turning the key and the bike brakes good front and rear but it feel like its stuck in cement trying to move it. I was wondering if the rear drum shoes are stuck.it weighs about 530 but its like rolling a 1500 goldwing i used to own.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Check the tire pressure. I have found that this bike moves like a sled when the tires are low. It isn't heavy enough to really show a flat tire but if they are down around 20 psi (especially the front) it can be hard to move.

Also, I recall reading that a problem with the splines can also make it hard to move, If the bike has been parked for a while and the splines are dry that can be a real problem. It may not even be dry but if it was lubed with something other than Moly lube it will not spin freely. Although in that case at least some grease is better than none.

·
Registered
1980 vulcan750
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks spocks
Check the tire pressure. I have found that this bike moves like a sled when the tires are low. It isn't heavy enough to really show a flat tire but if they are down around 20 psi (especially the front) it can be hard to move.

Also, I recall reading that a problem with the splines can also make it hard to move, If the bike has been parked for a while and the splines are dry that can be a real problem. It may not even be dry but if it was lubed with something other than Moly lube it will not spin freely. Although in that case at least some grease is better than none.
Thank you so much.tomorrow i am going to do all of that.i have to guy buy a gauge. Today i went to haas motorcycle museum in dallas. Its amazing. I saw bikes that will never be seen anywhere else.i got in for $7.00 since im over 65 and a veteran. It made me want to restore my bike to its original glory. Besides the artwork dream bikes there were the usual hendersons,indians,velocettes,zundaps, streamliners and so on.

·
Registered
1980 vulcan750
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well front tire had 20 psi.back had 12psi.aired up it rolls a lot better.i think these are the 1989 tires.And why they are hard as a rock. I changed oil and filter, took for a spin.i love it.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Well front tire had 20 psi.back had 12psi.aired up it rolls a lot better.i think these are the 1989 tires.And why they are hard as a rock. I changed oil and filter, took for a spin.i love it.
Air makes all the difference, barely moved mine with a flat front.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I inflate my tires to 34 psi. I weigh 240, and carry a lot of stuff on the bike. If your bike still has the centerstand, put it on the centerstand, and spin the rear wheel by hand with it in neutral. There will be some resistance because the drive shaft and bevel gear case will turn. It will be a bit harder to turn than a chain drive bike. But you should be able to tell if the brake is dragging by applying the brake while turning the wheel. If it gets a LOT harder to turn, then a lot easier when you release the brake, it is likely ok.

Disc brakes like on the front are a lot more likely to drag than drum brakes. First of all, unlike drum brakes, the pads are always in contact with the rotor, which creates a small amount of resistance, but not much. With the bike on the centerstand, put a small jack under the engine and lift the front wheel an inch or so off the floor. It should spin easily. By far the most common cause of dragging front brakes is the fluid return passage in the master cylinder being plugged up, and not releasing the pressure in the line.

If the tires are really old, definitely replace them. I would also change the final drive oil and lube the final drive splines. The splines tend to strip really easily if not lubricated on a regular basis. Also listen for cam chain noise with the engine running. The Vulcan 750 engine is well known for cam chain tensioner problems. I switched to manual tensioners after hearing cam chain noise on my last Vulcan 750. The engine finally failed at 118K miles due to a broken cam chain.

I had a 1993 Goldwing 1500 once. I could barely budge it. There is a reason they put reverse on it. I am now disabled and couldn't begin to push a Goldwing around.

Reactions: Grumpy72

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Reactions: Grumpy72
1 - 8 of 8 Posts