Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my bike, I really do. I am have the hardest time trying to mount and dismount from it though :D. It just seems so high up. I can't swing my leg because I have the passenger backrest and my foot hits it. I try to kind of karate kick my leg over the top but when I wear jeans, I drag across the seat doing this too because it gets tight on my leg. Any suggestions? I have read about people using the pegs to mount but this seemed way too awkward and my bike felt like it could fall over. Maybe I should start stretching....

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
My biggest problem is getting off. I just don't want to!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm right there with you. I'm a fat 44 year old with a 28 inch inseam. I can hike my leg up to mount but when I dismount all I can do its move my left foot as far away as possible and drag my right leg across the seat. I thought about lowering the bike but those shocks are expensive. I used to know a guy that did upholstery and I may look him up to see if he can shave the seat down some.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
I can understand having a hard time with it. The regular passenger backrest seems awkwardly tall; I can't imagine also having the extended one.

Try this: climb on from the right side. Step on the right peg with your right foot while leaning your weight slightly toward the left side of the bike (to keep it from coming off the kickstand), straighten your right leg up, and swing your left leg up and over while keeping it tucked up so that you aren't trying to clear the whole backrest, but instead inside of it and just over the passenger seat.

If you like, I'll shoot a little vid of what I mean.

·
Registered
28 Posts
maybe shoot your standing leg forward a little and mount more over the tank than the seat, and the sae when dismounting.
put your foot forward, as close to the peg as possible and pull yourself forward using the bars, give you an extra few inches.
and lads, who amongst us wouldnt kill for an extra few inches, am i right??? lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
My biggest problem is getting off. I just don't want to!
i dare not even say anything here ;)

i have a 28 inch inseam and am 48 years old. i can imagine either getting on or off the bike, or being stuck in the living room watching tv with the wife and kids. don't get me wrong, i am very involved with my kids, we have a ton of fun, but dadgammit riding time is riding time and someday i will chuck my dadgammed walker aside, lift my right leg up and use my hands if i have to, and kick that old dead leg over the seat. just lift your boot up and slide the pants across the seat. i mean really, if you can't lift your leg for like 5 seconds then you need to take a long walk every day, i try to do just that. get some exercise once in a while. then come over and ride one of my xr600's and you will really have something to bi+ch about. no electric start either. i am 5-8 and have owned and ridden zx1100's, xl/xr600's, too many cr250 and kx250's to count, you can either hoist your short leg over the seat or sit home and watch the lifetime channel with your wife. being short never stopped me from not only running with the big doggs, but it many cases passing them with my middle finger raised proudly in the air:beerchug:

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Ok ... got this far and had to go out and examine the mechanics of how I do this.

I get on from the left side with the bike on the side stand, front wheel turned right. Left foot goes by the side stand, left hand on left grip. Lean forward (almost can kiss the windshield)bent right leg so heel is close to but, slide knee across seat and slide butt to seat dropping right foot to ground/peg. Adjust, fire up and go.

Dismount is almost exact opposite, lean forward, slide butt to left while bringing right foot up to butt again. Slide off and smile.

Maybe I over-analized again and am gifted in being able to kick my own butt (which I seem to be getting real good at)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I can understand having a hard time with it. The regular passenger backrest seems awkwardly tall; I can't imagine also having the extended one.

If you like, I'll shoot a little vid of what I mean.
dude i am sorry, but please do send a video... i have an extended backrest with a tall soft bag that i put on the passenger seat (my wife thinks riding is too "windy" and prefers watching the lifetime channel, with the windows shut if there is a breeze) i think i would honestly poop myself laughing if i saw someone swing a leg over the tall backrest! unless you are a ninja! hawhaw

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am just getting all kinds of funny mental images from this thread. Struggling to do something makes it all the more important to do it anyway. As for swinging a leg over an extended back rest, call Shaq. He could do it with style. Might look a little funny riding though.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
First off, don't get on from the right side of the bike. It's actually taller there and you have to lean over the bike. Besides it's just wrong and you'll be laughed at.;)

The method of using the footpeg is the way to go for us inseam challenged riders. It's called the Equestrian Mount. If it seems awkward to you, just practise it until you don't.

The bike should be on the sidestand with the bars turned full left. Place your left foot on the left peg and reach over with your right hand and grab the right grip, squeezing the front brake nice and hard.

Now stand up on your left leg, you can grab the left grip with your left hand if you feel unsteady. Your right leg should just be hanging in the air. Pivot your hips so you start facing forward and pull your right knee up towards your chest untill your right foot is above the seat. Simply lift your foot over the seat and find the right peg with your foot, as you sit down.(still holding the front brake)

You need to practice this untill it's all just one fluid motion. Should take under 2 seconds. The bike won't roll if your holding the brake. This is easier if you have floorboards, and having a lower seat helps too, but not required.

You should be able to do the first move...(holding the brake and standing up straight with your left foot on the peg) and pause there as long as you want. What sometimes disorients folks is the bike is leaning and they think their weight us going to knock it over... It won't fall as long as your holding the brake...(and your not parked on soft ground)

This technique works the same way for your passenger....except instead of holding the bars they are holding your shoulders.

KM

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Knifemaker's instructions there are very thorough and probably more detailed than how I would have put it. But I was thinking along the same lines. What I have always been told is if you are on solid ground with the side stand down and the handlebars turned full left, you would have a very tough time trying to get the bike to fall to the left. So just put your foot in the stirrup and mount your iron horse. ;)

Being taller I don't have the problem, but I can appreciate that there are folks that would.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm 6ft and 25 years old but a back injury makes it harder to do certain leg stretches. I'll try from the peg again.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Im 6'1", a "bit" over 50, but have bad arthritis in my hips. This thing was a chore for me with the extended backrest. Well, I didnt plan on having any passengers (besides a ride to the occasional daisydukes hitch), so I traded my high for a stock. Even so, on some days its still a bitch. I get on from the "lean" side, lift leg (like the dirty wolf I am) with my knee bent, body bent forward slightly, then pivot on over. I suppose the peg thing would work, but dont try it after the bike's been sitting on hot asphault for awhile !
Reminds me of a story from the 70's...I had a pre-AMF Sportster that was bored and stroked with 12:1 pistons. Well, was leaving a bar at 4am one night, streets were empty. I pushed the kicker thru once to prime (only dressers had electric start then), then jumped up to give it a kickthru. Well...the bike backfired, and sent my skinny azz flying into the next parking space, lol....glad nobody was around, because that was dang embarrassing !

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with knifemaker. Right leg does not swing beind you. I have a drver backrest on my VTX and this is the easy way to get on.
Che

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
dude i am sorry, but please do send a video... i have an extended backrest with a tall soft bag that i put on the passenger seat (my wife thinks riding is too "windy" and prefers watching the lifetime channel, with the windows shut if there is a breeze) i think i would honestly poop myself laughing if i saw someone swing a leg over the tall backrest! unless you are a ninja! hawhaw
I should clarify that I don't actually have the extended back rest on MY bike, but if you can give me a height measurement from the rear fender to the top I could put something there to replicate the back rest and then give the demonstration.
First off, don't get on from the right side of the bike. It's actually taller there and you have to lean over the bike. Besides it's just wrong and you'll be laughed at.;)
Well, sure, if you're standing on the ground it's harder to go from the right. But standing on the peg, you'll be higher than standing on the left peg. Plus with the bike leaned to the left, it could be a little awkward to stand on the left peg. And who cares if anyone laughs. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts

The method of using the footpeg is the way to go for us inseam challenged riders. It's called the Equestrian Mount. If it seems awkward to you, just practise it until you don't.

The bike should be on the sidestand with the bars turned full left. Place your left foot on the left peg and reach over with your right hand and grab the right grip, squeezing the front brake nice and hard.

Now stand up on your left leg, you can grab the left grip with your left hand if you feel unsteady. Your right leg should just be hanging in the air. Pivot your hips so you start facing forward and pull your right knee up towards your chest untill your right foot is above the seat. Simply lift your foot over the seat and find the right peg with your foot, as you sit down.(still holding the front brake)

You need to practice this untill it's all just one fluid motion. Should take under 2 seconds. The bike won't roll if your holding the brake. This is easier if you have floorboards, and having a lower seat helps too, but not required.

You should be able to do the first move...(holding the brake and standing up straight with your left foot on the peg) and pause there as long as you want. What sometimes disorients folks is the bike is leaning and they think their weight us going to knock it over... It won't fall as long as your holding the brake...(and your not parked on soft ground)

This technique works the same way for your passenger....except instead of holding the bars they are holding your shoulders.

KM
When I had a KLR650, I found myself more comfortable getting on the wrong side of the bike. Dunno why I did that. After a while, I finally switched to the proper side. The KLR sits much taller than the VN750 does. I'm over 6 feet tall and struggled some-what to get on the KLR until my body adjusted.

As for the OP, have you tried mounting by stepping onto the footpeg first; kinda like mounting a saddled horse? It should give you enough lift to get your leg over the seat (I hope).

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Well, sure, if you're standing on the ground it's harder to go from the right. But standing on the peg, you'll be higher than standing on the left peg. Plus with the bike leaned to the left, it could be a little awkward to stand on the left peg. And who cares if anyone laughs. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
In relation to the ground, not the bike. The distance from either peg to the seat is the same on both sides...;)

I should point out that quite a few 750's seem to lean ALOT to the side when on their sidestsnd. Most are due to the pivot bolt wearing a bigger hole into the mount over the years. If your bike seems to be leaning excessively it's something you might want to fix.

The point of always mounting from the left is kind of a safety issue. (I'm not talking about mounting via the peg here, but standing on the ground.) If the bike suddenly starts to roll off the sidestsnd, you have a better shot of pushing it back up of at least slowing it's decent to the ground if you are on the left (sidestsnd) side.
Ditto when getting off the bike.

Keep in mind to Dave, that some owners are, well lets just say "hefty" fellows, and stepping on the right peg from the right side, even with trying to lean over the bike will still tip it up and off the sidestsnd. As it falls they would be unable to stop it, and likely would get pulled on top of it as it fell.

If mounting from the right works for you, cool. But I can't reccomend it to the OP here.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts