Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just picked up my first bike!!! 86 vulcan 750. She is fun to ride when she runs. I got it from a guy who had it parked for 2 or 3 years. I put in new battery, plugs, air filter, oil and filter. I can get her started and she runs but if I turn off she wont restart most of the time. when she is running no power from idle to about 3 thousand rpm's. but when engin is warm the lack of power is almost gone. when I got the bike I pulled the tank and drained all the "gas" that was in her. yellow and almost did not smell like gas at all. I picked up some seafoam and with a full tank of gas I added about 2 oz. but It will not start up when I need her to. do I need to pull the carbs and rebuild? I am getting confused and I want to ride!!!! any help would be greatly appreaciated. also if I have to rebuild carbs where can I order a kit? I have two shops in town and the both said that they would have to use the exploded view and order part by part. is this true? again thank you all

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Try this first. It may postpone carb cleaning. Add about half the bottle of seafoam to the tank. Then get her going and staying in a lower gear to stay within the speed limit run her up to about 7000rpm and release the throttle and coast down a few seconds then do it again. I've done it on other bikes four or five times and it forces the low speed jets to flow fuel and cleans them out pretty good. If that doesn't work then it's carb cleaning time.
BTW welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Is your new battery the maintenance free AGM type? If not, need to get one. Standard wet cell will spill acid on your electronics and frame... not a good thing. Iridium plugs will also help and should pretty much last the life of the engine.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness Matty. X2 to antiq`s suggestions for how to avoid pulling the carbs for cleaning. After you get the old girl purring like a kitty, there are several more service and maintenance items you will want to do, before racking up a bunch of miles. See the link below.

Fill out your profile and let us know where you are from. Because it shows up on each post you make, it can sometimes help us answer questions you pose to the forum. Good luck with getting this carb problem solved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input everybody I am going to give the bike a good long ride today and see if the seafoam and new batt is all I need.... I will keep yall updated later today. agian thank you one and all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts