• NO, General US model

Votes: 63 60.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious as to how many people who have CA bikes have hard starting problems? I read in the manual that if you overfill the gas tank, it could cause hard starting problems. The manual didn't state exactly how to fix the problem should you have overfilled your tank. I'm afraid to say that I've probably overfilled my tank both times I refilled it, not knowing any better.

So, if you overfill the tank, does the hard starting just go away? Or do you have to do anything?

Also, I created a little poll. Please note, I'm only considering "hard starting" to be for people who have a working starter, and what not, just a really hard to start bike (i.e. lot of cranking) especially when warm. If you know for a fact that your problem is related to something else, could you share that too?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hot, no battery. Ordering one today though. Do you guys recommend the charger too, or will the 2 amp unit I've had for a while do?

Ben

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
I got the Battery Tender myself...but never use it. I usualy get a good ride in once a week (so far) and MF batteries just do not loose a charge like wet cells...the few times I hookied it up to the charger it took less than 3 minutes to go on "standby"..
If you feel you need a charger I would get the Battery Tender , or one of the others that has battery moniter circuitry. This alters the voltage to match the condition of the battery...the old style trickle chargers do not.

You also may want to turn your airscrews out some, and install the iridium spark plugs. All my hot starting problems disappeared after installing the MF battery................

KM

·
Registered
169 Posts
Even with the wet cell batteries the wifes and my 750 did not have a hard start problem. I did however recently switch both batteries to MF batteries after reading alot of helpful information here. I voted no on a non CA model.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your tips. I'll probably try the newer sealed battery first, and be more careful about the tank level. If that works, then I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a stock battery and keep the 1.25 amp BatteryTender on it. With full choke, no throttle, the engine starts instantly. With a hot engine I crack the throttle very slightly and it starts right up. I have never had a starting problem. I don't know why overfilling the fuel tank should effect starting(?)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Manual stated it would. I just figured that might be part of the problem. I used to have a decidedly low tech, and non environmentally friendly two stroke moped There was a single fuel line out, and a vent in the cap. All this new fangled emissions stuff is confusing. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dan,

When starting your hot bike, do you use the choke with a bit of throttle, or close the choke an give a quick blip of throttle?
I'm starting to get a bit of a handle on the hot start that I experienced last season. I believe the m/f battery is helping.
Rick

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Rick,
When I start the bike hot, I use no choke at all. I just crack the throttle a little tiny bit and hold it there while I hit the starter button. Maybe the ambient temperature has something to do with it. I live in Seattle where it is not very cold.
Dan

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I have a Calif bike and I have trouble starting it in the cold morning, anything
aroung 34 degrees. Have no trouble starting when hot, a little open throttle.
On the cold mornings I use full choke,but the RPMS are not high enough to keep the engine running. Have to keep strarting it, and then sometimes it floods out. By that time the battery is dead. I have not bought the new sealed battery like everyone is talking about

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having a similar problem (see recent ear shave posts for more details)... one thing I learned doing the ear shave is that rejetting and shimming needles is only a part of the recipe (and in fact have nothing to do with idle). One of the the biggest things that affects idle is the float levels! I know one cylinder on mine is off... proof is that it doesn't pull well at low rpms, and basically shakes hard on accel under 2500 rpm. That same bike has always been that way (thanks to previous owner) and does exactly what you describe, weh44att... Cold start even with full choke doesn't idle high enough like it should... will keep dropping until it dies. I should know fairly soon what all is involved in adjusting the float levels and will post the results.
For comparison, my stock '05 starts cold perfectly and idles between 2-3k rpm even when ambient is in the 30's F.
Installing a MF battery *will* help a lot. A low voltage condition will absolutely make your ignition unstable.

·
Now what
400 Posts
trturnerfamily said:
Dan,

When starting your hot bike, do you use the choke with a bit of throttle, or close the choke an give a quick blip of throttle?
I'm starting to get a bit of a handle on the hot start that I experienced last season. I believe the m/f battery is helping.
Rick
When the bike's warm, I always start it with no choke, no throttle, press and hold the start button. If it doesn't start in two seconds, I give it a little gas while it's still cranking. The times I opened the throttle before pressing the start button, I got killer backfires.:wow:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine starts fine when cold using an appropriate amount of choke. Hot or cold weather, cold starts are no problem.

BUT, when warm...as in after stopping the engine long enough for a gas fill-up...it can be a b*tch to start. I've tried no choke, choke, part throttle, no throttle, etc etc, but nothing seems to work all the time. I'll get a nasty backfire sometimes but no start. After a few tries I'll wait a bit, and try again, and it'll start and run fine. Sometimes, hot starts are no trouble at all!

Hot restarts after stalling the engine are not a problem...it starts right up (thank goodness :smiley_th ).

The bike has no performance issues once it's running and it always gets 50--53 mpg on regular gas. I have the stock battery, but would like to try a maintenance free battery.

Does the MF battery take some of the strain off the ignition system so the bike has a hotter ignition or it cranks over faster? I'm new on this forum so if you could tell me the brand and model number of a popular MF battery, I'd appreciate it. ([edit] I'm catching up on the posts...Westco 12V14L-B or Yuasa YTX 14AHL-BS sound like good bets. )

--Roy

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
hard starts...

i seem to only have a problem after it sits 2+ days...guessing float bowls are dry? i have to crank it, then let it sit for a few (i am pulling off my locks and stuff in the mean time) then crank it again and it starts... on cold days (<50 deg. f) it takes a lil more cranking, normally bout 4-5 5 second starter pushes after the initial crank i do..

04 vn750
stock

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

Hello all
I'm new to this group and joined because I was looking for some help with my hot starting troubles.

I bought a 02 750 with 1100 miles last spring and absolutely love the bike. It is a great step up from my 500LTD. The only problem is identical to the one vulcanvoyager described. Very embarasing to stop for gas and have a horrible time restarting the bike. (scaring babies with the backfires and all that)

I too have tried various methods with no luck. It does have a wet-cell battery and maybe cranks a little slower when hot. Will have to try an upgrade and see if it helps this season. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

·
750fatboy
17 Posts
cold weather dose affect starting, drains the battery alittle, but a little 1 to 2 minute charge, boom, fires up..

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
The most common fix for hard hot starts is a MF free battery. It is the easiest to do and usually has great results.

The next one is adjusting the gap of the pickup coils. The Climer manual makes mention of it but has you taking too much apart. Search the Vulcan verses for the procedure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just installed an MF battery...will report back to you on whether my hot-starting problem is resolved...or not.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Are you opening the throttle a 1/4-3/8 of a inch when you crank it? Mine won't even think about starting without cranking for 5 or 6 seconds when it's hot if I don't break open the throttle a little bit. When I do that it takes less than a second.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts