Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says. Started it up this morning and rode 4 blocks to the gas station. Filled up and it started right up. Went to the bank about a mile away. Came out about 5 minutes later and again started right up. Rode on the highway for about 15 miles, stopped and came back in about 10 minutes and it would turn over, but not start. After about 15 minutes of randomly trying, it finally kicked over like there was never a problem. Had this problem before, and first thought was something to do with the intake. All lines are good, no cracks on the boots. No big problem when I ride to work as I don't stop till I get there, then come back out 10 hours later.

If it were a 2 stroke, I'd wonder about the top end needing redone. But it's not, and it only has just over 23k on the motor.

Next thought was the valves, but it seems like it would be hard to start all the time if that was it.

I've got fire and spark, so I'm thinking it's the carbs. Really hoping someone knows a simple fix rather than taking the carbs off. Major PITA, and the wife has a to do list about a mile long so the quicker I can fix it, the better.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Been using Sea Foam? Iridium plugs in it? How oid is the battery? Have you driven enough highway miles to keep the battery charged?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure it's not POOGS since it runs fine, never had the out of gas syndrome. Checked the fuel vent line when I check the intake and boots. Been using seafaom in it for the 2 1/2 years I've had it. New iridium plugs last year along with two new air filters and a new battery three weeks ago. Got the gas at the same place I always do, just more expensive now. The ride to work and back everyday is a 40 mile trip, most of that is open road or highway.

Nice moring so when I got out on the highway opened it up to 95. Ran like a top. Stop and go traffic, runs fine. When I try to start it, it gives a little backfire, so I'm almost thinking maybe a stuck needle and it's getting flooded.

Got everything to change over to mcct's, just need the time to install those. Don't think that's the problem though.

Got me scratching my head for sure.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I would say that you should look up the coil pick-up adjustment in the threads. I always had that problem after the bike get hot, It takes about 10 minutes for the bike to cool down and it will start. Adjusting the pick-ups will give you a hotter spark and a lot easier to start when hot, and you should not get the back fire when starting the bike hot.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I would say that you should look up the coil pick-up adjustment in the threads. I always had that problem after the bike get hot, It takes about 10 minutes for the bike to cool down and it will start. Adjusting the pick-ups will give you a hotter spark and a lot easier to start when hot, and you should not get the back fire when starting the bike hot.
LINK:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34298778/Pick-Up-Coil-Adjustment

Partial quote from above link.
To adjust the clearance, remove the two screws which secure the pick up coils to the stator cover. You will most likely need to slightly elongate or slot the holes in the "ears" of the pick up coil mounting brackets. Gary indicates that a chain saw file works well for this but I used a rotary tool with a small grinding wheel on it.

You will also see that there are 3 small protrusions coming out of the stator cover that each of the mounting "ears" of the pick up coils fit into for proper placement from the factory.

You will most likely have to knock the one closest to the center off to be able to make the necessary adjustment. A sharp chisel works well for this although you may want to cover the holes in the stator cover with something to prevent the little piece from falling inside the engine.
Once the protrusions are knocked off and the holes are elongated, it is time to put the pick up coils back on
Note red highlighted section in quote: One member notched the pickup coil mounting "ears" with a small file to fit around the center protrusion or tab, instead of knocking the protrusion off the stator cover with a chisel as suggested in the writeup.:smiley_th

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like I told myself I was going to set the gap on the pick up coils once before. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do that in the next week or so. Extra hours at the second job this week and next, so can't say for sure when. I'll be sure to post the results when I finally do get to that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts