Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
REDRIDER
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike had been sitting in my garage for about one week. Started up my bike to go to work the other day. Ran for a few minutes then quit. I then realized that I had turned the fuel peacock to off. Turned it back on and it took almost 10 minutes to start. Is this normal or do I have a potential problem about to surface?:doh:

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Not to far out, next time turn to reserve. The Petcock is vacume operated when On if you run out of gas have to fill the carbs before it will run. with no vacume gas wont flow. If it is running fine now I would not worry about it.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Here is what i do....since its vacume operated, i shake the bike (hold the brake and bounce it some) and that sloshes the gas in the tank creating pressure. this then fills the carbs. just let it sit for a min. then start. I used to bounce it then remove the disk lock and put it away and it would start after that.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i dunno, all i know is it works. I tried it first not realizing its a vacuum system, thought it was just gravity fed. I guess the extra presure gets things going again once i hit the start button...i dunno like i said.

·
REDRIDER
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bike started up today, first time. I guess I will just leave the petcock in the "reserve" or "on" position from now on. Thanks for the feedback.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I usually leave mine at the 'on' position and haven't had any troubles with it leaking or anything.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, that MSF tip about turning off the gas when you park...not so important on vaccum actuated fuel tanks. I don't know what bikes still use gravity feed for fuel but it can't be very many...oh wait, lemme guess...Harley Davidson still hasn't moved up to 1980s technology for their motorcycles.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What the heck are you talking about of course its gravity feed.If you run out of fuel do you shake your bike to start it I dont think so.That why the carbs have floats. When the float is down gas comes in when the float is up the gas stops coming in.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hizzo3 said:
Here is what i do....since its vacume operated, i shake the bike (hold the brake and bounce it some) and that sloshes the gas in the tank creating pressure. this then fills the carbs. just let it sit for a min. then start. I used to bounce it then remove the disk lock and put it away and it would start after that.

DO THEY SELL CARBONATED GAS IN TEXAS???????

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I don't think so. But I think you can get gas from carbonation. My wife does, but then shes a vegetarian, and all her food is soybean based.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts