Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends 2002 750 has a hard time starting when hot. If you shut it off and go to start it within 20 min it needs choke to start. I have not started on the mods to the mixture, carb sync, relay for the coils or vent hose yet, but I will soon. I ask because I have not yet seen this problem described on the board, and want to be heading in the right direction when I start. Will removing and cleaning -adjusting the carbs likely be the fix?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You probably have a wet cell battery on the bike. You'll want to remove that and get a Maintenance Free sealed battery first off. That's probably the biggest problem with the hot starting issue. On mine, (same year) it had a MF battery when I bought it, but still had the hot start problem. I relocated my regulator/rectifier to the side next to the left passenger foot peg and the hot start problem went away. I think the heat from the pre-muffler really does a cook job on the regulator, and getting it out from under the battery box, where it's right above the pre-muffler, really helps keep it cooler.

Some have solved the hot start problem with an MF battery alone, where I had to move the regulator to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. When she lets me work on the bike that and the coil relay will be the first things I do!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You probably read one of my posts or my writeup about the coil mod. Honestly, I wish I'd done the r/r relocate and the coil mod at different times so I'd know which one actually fixed the hot start problem, but since our bikes are 2002's, I'd imagine it was the r/r relocate that had most to do with it, since our wiring shouldn't be suspect quite yet on a bike that new, but you never know!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do the coil relay mod first then after testing I'll do the r/r mod, and let ya know! That's whats so fun about these forums. Learn learn learn!:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I lied! I did the r/r first. It's all good though cause now it starts perfect when hot! I'm still going to do the coil mod, but I think getting the regulator to a cooler place is the fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts