Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no intentions to do so, so I would like to satisfy my curiosity. What happens in a hard launch? Does it lift the front tire? Does it spin the rear tire? Does something break? Does Shozo Kawasaki visit you in a dream and tell you to buy a sports bike instead?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I have to admit I was curious too, but I’ll be the first to say I’m not an experienced rider. I’ve only had this bike just under 2 yrs. there’s a lot of open strips near the old industrial area in S. Philly so if you consider a hard launch to be revving the engine up to half throttle and letting the clutch go, then my experience was the bike rolled (no spin) and then burst to life. The shaft effect definitely pushed me into the seat. I don’t think my front wheel came off the ground. I am about 215lbs so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. The final fact is I’m turning 44 this year and I realized that I’m mortal so I won’t push it lol. When I was in my 20s probably would have been more daring and more stupid ;)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
But this poses another question, what is the proper way to do a 0-60 run? Do you shift all the way up quickly? Or wind it out in 1st and 2nd gear with WOT?? I read the bike should get there in 6 secs

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
It will lift the front end, fairly high for a street bike.

I roll out in first, then short shift to second, if you wind it up in first the gearbox raises hell going into second.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I figured this is the safest way to satisfy my curiosity. I was riding a friend's bike (not a VN750), and got the front wheel up just by rolling on the throttle :oops:! It got me thinking what the Vulcan would do if pushed. Clearly she won't lift or spin without some clutch work. Now I don't have to figure out for myself.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Myself... I would love to be able to do wheelies but I wouldn't attempt it without a practice wheelie bar... and at my age... probably not at all.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
It's not advisable on a cruiser, I popped the clutch at a green light and found out by accident, she'll stand right up with you that way. Not quite enough torque to just roll on the throttle and loft it.

Had an RD350 that could do that, in 3rd gear even. Those bikes are lightweight all over. A CB350 feels like a concrete truck compared to the RD. Plus the 2-stroke twin cyl does it's job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts