Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought some Sea Foam fuel additive and gave it a try in my bike.
The reason for trying it was that my bike was really, I mean really, hard to start when it was cold. Also, about everytime I let up on the gas I got a bunch of popping. I haven't even been through the first tank and most of the popping has stopped. I came home from work today and tried to start my bike. Wow, what a difference - started right up.

However, I will update this post after running Sea Foam through my bike a while longer. I did have two things not so good happen after adding the Sea Foam. 1) my bike stopped idling 2) once in a while after letting up on the throttle it was reving high. I am hoping this will pass. But for now I am just wow'ed at how easy my bike started today. :smiley_th

And the funny thing - I never heard of Sea Foam fuel additive before coming to this forum.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Well, I bought some Sea Foam fuel additive and gave it a try in my bike.
The reason for trying it was that my bike was really, I mean really, hard to start when it was cold. Also, about everytime I let up on the gas I got a bunch of popping. I haven't even been through the first tank and most of the popping has stopped. I came home from work today and tried to start my bike. Wow, what a difference - started right up.

However, I will update this post after running Sea Foam through my bike a while longer. I did have two things not so good happen after adding the Sea Foam. 1) my bike stopped idling 2) once in a while after letting up on the throttle it was reving high. I am hoping this will pass. But for now I am just wow'ed at how easy my bike started today. :smiley_th

And the funny thing - I never heard of Sea Foam fuel additive before coming to this forum.
Popping on decel is usually caused by running too lean. It's usually made worse by modifying either the exhaust or air filters (ear shave). If it still pops you might try backing out your mixture screws 1/4 turn at a time and see if it helps. Do you have any mods to your exhaust or air filters?

I tried Seafoam as well and although it helped, the improvements to mine was not nearly as dramatic as what you describe! Glad it worked so well.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
If this is the first time you used Seafoam , it is possible it "knocked loose" some crud in you tanks, which has now found it's way into your carbs.
Give it a couple of tanks to clear out.
The idle problem can be caused by this, but I would first adjust the airscrews out some like Scoop suggested, and I would also check to make sure all the carb boots are tight, as an air leak can do this too. Ride the bike until it is nice and warm , then , RESET your idle speed to 1100-1300 rpms.

If the "runaway" idle does not go away after doing all the above, it may be caused by something else..

KM

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Popping on decel is usually caused by running too lean. It's usually made worse by modifying either the exhaust or air filters (ear shave). If it still pops you might try backing out your mixture screws 1/4 turn at a time and see if it helps. Do you have any mods to your exhaust or air filters?

I tried Seafoam as well and although it helped, the improvements to mine was not nearly as dramatic as what you describe! Glad it worked so well.
I have no modes to the exhaust or the air filters. Although I am thinking about replacing everything with a complete aftermarket exhaust system.

I started up better today then yesterday - hit the starter, give it some gas, and it's started...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The idle is going well now - doesn't stall out or go high.
I have the idle adjusted at about 1100 at the moment.
I will check out the carb boots to make sure they are good and tight.
As far as the jets go - I will have to do some reading in my repair manual.
My dad seems to think the bike is set too rich also.

Thanks for all the help...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Have you checked the sparkplugs? They might need changed.

But by the sounds of things, the bike seems to be doing better now :smiley_th

·
Registered
16 Posts
spark plugs

Definitely change the spark plugs. When I was having problems starting & running rough, tried the SeaFoam first, but ended up rebuilding the carbs. I left the plugs that I HAD JUST PUT IN and had never even run the engine for any length of time with, and still would not start. I put new plugs in, she started right up. For the few bucks 4 new plugs cost, it couldn't hurt. Apparently, they foul up something awful with SeaFoam.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seafoam fouls plugs???

Medic,

Your comment re: Seafoam fouling plugs - where did you read/hear that? According to all the positive things I've read in here on Seafoam, and the people who are adding it to their gas every couple of tankfuls, I'm suprised it hasn't been previously noted.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Medic,

Your comment re: Seafoam fouling plugs - where did you read/hear that? According to all the positive things I've read in here on Seafoam, and the people who are adding it to their gas every couple of tankfuls, I'm suprised it hasn't been previously noted.
If the Seafoam got enough junk (mostly) dissolved in the fuel system, I would think it's possible for some of that stuff to foul the plugs.

Sure, the Seafoam is good stuff, but when there's a bunch of bad stuff in the system, it can still cause problems as it works it's way out. Just like it's been mentioned before about pieces of stuff plugging jets after a Seafoam treatment

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not basing that on something I have heard, just what I have observed. I could not start the bike when it had been sitting for a few years. I put new spark plugs in, it still would not really run smooth. I put some Seafoam in (albeit I ended up putting in a bit more than recommended) and it would start and run, but still had issues, and never really ran the bike for more than a total of 5 minutes at that point. After removing and cleaning/rebuilding the carbs, it would not start at all. The plugs were totally fouled. New spark plugs and the bike started right up and ran fine. Now, the carb bowls were still caked with varnish when I opened them up, so perhaps the Seafoam loosened some of that up. That was all last Spring when I bought the bike. I have been starting the bike up every week or so during the Winter, with a bit of SeaFoam in the tank. This week, it would not start, I pulled the plugs and they were pretty well fouled again. I'm not saying that the SeaFoam does not work, it sure does, but from my experience, I now expect to change the plugs more frequently when I do use it. Perhaps the problem is the plugs I am using, basically just Autolite plugs from the local car parts place. I think I will try the Iridiums mentioned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts