Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around in the forum, but can't seem to find a thread about this. Has anyone installed the style hard cases with integrated red lights? I really like the looks of a couple sets I have seen on Amazon and ebay, but not sure how they would look on a VN750. If anyone has used them, would you post a pic? Also, what did you do about the light? Brake light or turn signal?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, with no response I decided to take a chance on them. I ordered Mutazu LN cases, and I am going to attempt to use the lights as turn signals and shave the stock ones. If the OEM turn signal holes show, I will install chrome hole plugs. Will post updates here.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Hopefully the lights are 3-wire so you can have running and turn lights. There's a wire mod to get brake/running/turn on a 3-wire light too.

Almost posted this link yesterday, just an image search: https://www.google.com/search?q=vn7...HZ2jBBgQ_AUICSgC#tbm=isch&q=vn750+hard+bags&*

Today I ran across a smokin' deal on a set of hard bags, but they aren't like the Mutazu, they're like these: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...jUtZT1lfjSAhUo6YMKHb-VBFMQMwhhKDswOw..i&w=300

They have a light on the front too. Was going to give you a link for the deal, but looks like I'm too late.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully the lights are 3-wire so you can have running and turn lights. There's a wire mod to get brake/running/turn on a 3-wire light too.

Almost posted this link yesterday, just an image search: https://www.google.com/search?q=vn7...HZ2jBBgQ_AUICSgC#tbm=isch&q=vn750+hard+bags&*

Today I ran across a smokin' deal on a set of hard bags, but they aren't like the Mutazu, they're like these: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...jUtZT1lfjSAhUo6YMKHb-VBFMQMwhhKDswOw..i&w=300

They have a light on the front too. Was going to give you a link for the deal, but looks like I'm too late.
Oh man, those ones with the chrome bars around them kept catching my attention! The only thing that held me back was that the reviews all seemed to say that they are too small, more like a scooter size. Really like the look though.

The details were sparse on those Mutazu LN lights, but I believe the lights are only 2-wire. I was thinking of wiring them as turn signal lights for now, but later trying to replace the receptacle with something that can handle dual filament lights and making them handle both running lights and turn signals. If you know anything about that mod, please do share. I was thinking of just trying to parallel in the brake light wiring, but maybe there is a cleaner way?

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I'll see if I can find a diagram, might be a couple of days. Just did a quick look and there's also a module you can buy to the brake/turn/signals.

If you look through that image search, you should see some bikes with these other bags on them, I thought they looked larger than the Mutazu. Info says: Dimensions: In cardboard box measuring 20" X 17" X 12" Condition: New in box. Includes mounting hardware. Judging from the pics, they must be about 20" front to rear, 17" tall, 12" wide. Front/rear and width includes the bars.

What are the dimensions on the Mutazu? They seem relatively narrow.

These bags were $6.50 when they were listed on the auction Monday morning, with $13.99 shipping to me, you're a lot closer than I am.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that is anything close to the dimensions of the actual bags and not just the box, then that is definitely bigger than the Mutazu LN. The LN is only 6.5" wide.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I'm sending the link in a PM. Unfortunately, the price shot up to $86 today. Don't know what they go for on ebay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so the Mutazu bags are here. I think the size will work out ok. I can hold some tools, a jacket, maybe a grocery bag or two. I still can't install them yet, though. I ordered the Kawasaki bag supports and I am going to try to use those instead of the Mutazu universal supports, so I have to wait for those to get here.

I got my wife to hold up one of the cases for a rough idea of positioning. Just trying to picture it without the stock turn signal there. I think it will look good.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Did they give a weight rating on those? Thinking they might handle more than soft bags, I'm always concerned about the strap stretching out on mine. I see a lot of soft bags with the bottoms melted.

Those lights look amber in the pic. Would probably have to use those as turn signals if that's the case. Amber running lights on the rear is prohibited in most states.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure about the weight rating. Neither the manufacturer site or the Amazon listing said it. But the thing you pointed out is exactly the reason I decided to look at hard cases this time. Every time I had soft saddlebags in the past, the bottoms ended up sagging and melting. We shall see if these fare any better. Regarding the lights, they are red, but the lenses don't seem to be as deep a shade of red as the brake light. It will be interesting to see how they compare when I get them hooked up. Still waiting for the FAS supports to come in before I tackle this project, but I will post updates.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still need to tighten up the bolts and clean up the wiring, but I couldn't resist sharing. I got the cases mounted today. I used the Kawasaki Fire and Steel saddlebag mount system, and I used insulated aluminum cable clamps with big fender washers to mount the bags. I would be happy to show more pics of my mounting setup if anyone would like to see it. You can see a demo of the turn signals here:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts