Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went with a set of LN saddlebags last year, got sick of the leather one's always got stuff wet in the thunderstorms even with waterproofing them, no more leather.
Anyhow the el-cheapo hard bags are plastic and very, very good.
The LED'S are a joke, so dont even bother hooking them up, just cut wire off and put grommet in hole.
These bags may leak just a wee little bit in a terencial rain storm, use thread lock, and sylicone the washers for waterproofing the hold down brackets and there you go, took about 2 hours to install. About $270.00 or so.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No just google it, they are out of California mate, it's an Asian brand but they are quite good. Could not stretch $700.00 for the brand name ones, it's a bit steep isent it?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
:worthless

WE NEED PICS!!!!
(please :smiley_th)

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
We at least need a keyword to start the google search. If we put in "saddle bags" we'll be there all day. What are the bags called? What's the name on the box or bag they came in? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Dimensions? Cost?

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
6"wide 12"high if I remember right. Can't remember length. $124 +shipping. On Ebay

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Here is where i bought like 2 years ago...they are really good but after a while they get cracked so i had to patch it down with fiber sheet....

http://www.mutazu.com/
That's the one's I keep Eyeing. Cheaper to buy from them than ebay too!
Some day...

·
Registered
668 Posts
That's the one's I keep Eyeing. Cheaper to buy from them than ebay too!
Some day...
Man it's totally worth it though...
I've also change their stupid LED light to a regular 1154 led buld and added the socket for it...
I will post some pic later on tonight for you:rockon:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same bags. I have been very happy with the appearance. I hooked the lights in the bags up to the brake light to supplement the single tail-brake light. As noted, the LEDs are a bit on the weak side, but at night when I need them the most they REALLY stand out and make the rear of the bike visible when stopping.

I am not sure where you got them for $240, but that is a bit high. I ordered them from the Mutazu.com website for $145.

They look great (IMO) on the bike. Biggest problem I have with them so far is the locks tend to stick a bit. I think I need to spray some graphite down in the lock cylinder to loosen it back up and lubricate it a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Has anyone had both side loading and top loading bags, and how would they compare the two? Seems like the top loading wouldn't have the problem of stuff falling out, but side loading might give easier access? Any opinions?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Biggest problem I have with them so far is the locks tend to stick a bit. I think I need to spray some graphite down in the lock cylinder to loosen it back up and lubricate it a bit.
A good bet would be Lock-Ease found at NAPA or another auto parts store, it is colodial graphite and is great for locks and some other things...:)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have the next level up from th the Ln model i think. I did get them directly from them in california, but they were close to $300.00.
The side loaders are very good, you dont have the turn signal issues, although i have relocated mine. I will never go back to leather for the climate that i ride in, wild n wet to blazing summers.
I actually opted for top loaders but ended up with side loaders by mistake or something like that. Either way is fine.
I used sealer and threadlock when installing, no leaks and no loose fasteners, they are not a bad buy actually.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I have the next level up from th the Ln model i think. I did get them directly from them in california, but they were close to $300.00.
Next up... that explains alot.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its been a while kanuck, i think they have 3 different styles dont they, i was just pointing them out for those who like hard bags but dont have $800.00.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A good bet would be Lock-Ease found at NAPA or another auto parts store, it is colodial graphite and is great for locks and some other things...:)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
I will look for that. Thank you.

Also, for the question about top loading vs. side loading....

I did have the top loading bags before I laid my bike down in Sept '07. With the top loading bags, I had to remove the stock turn signals and use the bags for the turn signal. They looked great, but the bulb they used on the bags drew different amperage than the stock. As a result, the flash timing was too fast. They were also a bit on the weak side as far as brightness. As to the question of loading... I actually think in comparison, the side loading bags hold more volume. Those top loading bags are a lot narrower than they appear. They held very very little.

The side loading (LN) bags are not what I call LARGE, but they are bigger than the FN (top loading). I also like that I could mount the side loading bags just under the rear turn signals. Now, I have the stock turn signals and the extra brake lights. I really like the way the bike came out with the LN bags over the other.

Also, the top loading bags were so structurally weak on the plastic, if you tried to 'overstuff' them and put in too much, the lid did not fit right, it rattled, and leaked.

One would think (as I did) that the top loading bags were better. That is why I had those to start with. Now, after having the side loading bags, I would not trade them for the world to go back to the other bags.

Just my humble opinion though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts