Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some money from Christmas and birthday and decided I want to get some hard side bags for when I go on longer trips. Those of you that have some, what brand are they & how easily do they attach? Pictures of yours would be nice if you have them.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Dave a lot of people on here have used the Matuzu GA hard bags.But if you can find a set on ebay the older Harley Electra Glide bags work ell and look pretty good.Seatch for the Keywords Shovelhead ,Pan head saddlebags.Sometimes you can find them with the mounting brackets,They are kinda hard to get for a good price but are well made and the mounting brackets can be adapted with little modification.

Look over the whole line of Matuzu line and check the different styles and sizes.here is a link
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=7&menu=Hard+Saddlebags&s=prod.php
click on the hard bag coice on the menu and you can look them over.
I was seriously considering these for my 1500 before I found a set of factory Nomad Bags pretty reasonable.Again these bags from National CYcle are pricy but I have found you get what you pay for in Hard bags
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/830-343.

Whatever you buy National cycle makes some very good mounting Brackets that are adjustable. Mutazu makes rigid mounting brackets too but I had to make some reinforcement braces on the Nomad bags when I used them.

I hope this gives you some choices to look over .It is kinda expensive any way you go about it but it is worth the effort,keeping your stuff dry is worth a lot and as I said a lot of people on here have used the GA style fom Mutazu and liked them a lot.Ther is a lot to pick from.

Kanuck69 has Harley bags on his if you want to look at his profile pic,You can probably find some member pics on here also with a search for Hard Bags and I remember Lance had the GA on his yellow bike.I know this was long but hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I picked up a set of LeatherLyke bags. They are solid plastic with a leather grain look to it. The quality is immaculate in my opinion, well worth the money I paid for them.

They come with their own mounting system, and can be taken off and put on in seconds. They're held in place inside the bag with a click, so removal is tool-less and they lock securely.

When taken off, the mounting hardware isn't obscenely noticeable like the bracket needed for most soft throw over style bags. You are required to relocate the turn signals, and the kit comes with a bracket to move them to mount off of the license plate holder.

They also sell matching trunk bags that I'm considering adding.

http://www.leatherlyke.com/products/catalog/cross-country-saddlebags-vulcan-750
(ordering from their website doesn't work. You have to call them to place the order)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
they are not soft but they are not hard, I bought ones called eagle i thought.... this is what I came up with when i search now, but these are not what I bought.... http://www.eagleleatherworks.com/saddle.html just another option.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
they are not soft but they are not hard,
Kinda young for that to be happening to you ain't ya Merc? Don't blame me, it was that little redhead that wolfie posted a picture of in that "How hot is too hot" thread ,that got my mind in the gutter:D

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Don't blame me, it was that little redhead that wolfie posted a picture of in that "How hot is too hot" thread ,that got my mind in the gutter

....*WEG*...

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,731 Posts
well, you could always do the 50 cal. ammo cans that one member on here did a few years ago! I really liked them and they were cheap to boot! lol

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
you could always do the 50 cal. ammo cans
No good for me though....wont fit tall boys sideways... :(
Thats how I rate bags....need to be able to hold ice, and at least 6-8 tallboys in each.

ElectraGlide bags are the way to go...toughest glass around, etc....but try to find used for even around $250....

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,731 Posts
No good for me though....wont fit tall boys sideways... :(
Thats how I rate bags....need to be able to hold ice, and at least 6-8 tallboys in each.

ElectraGlide bags are the way to go...toughest glass around, etc....but try to find used for even around $250....
I don't know Wolfie. maybe they were some other cal., but these things were big! big enough to hold ice and many "tall boys". but you're right, that's how I rate saddle bags too! by how many cans of beer they can hold! lol

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I don't know Wolfie. maybe they were some other cal., but these things were big! big enough to hold ice and many "tall boys". but you're right, that's how I rate saddle bags too! by how many can of beer they can hold! lol
...guess I need to leave my raingear home....(small saddle bags) Wolfie can evaluate beer capacity in a couple weeks when we meet up...anyone else wanting to view Jardine. FWD controls....anybody in Alabama ?
:smiley_th

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I can definitely attest to the strength of the Harley bags I've got.
When I was run off the road a few years back with my daughter on the bike.
The bike road on those bags keeping our legs from serious damage.
I sanded them & repainted. They didn't even crack.
So, not only are they tough, they were a life saver.

You'd have to be patient to find a reasonably priced set thought!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Yeah, ya gotta go to swapmeets and stuff....sucks too, because 25 years ago, I had a set....with keys and mounts....I GAVE em away....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Yeah, ya gotta go to swapmeets and stuff....sucks too, because 25 years ago, I had a set....with keys and mounts....I GAVE em away....
I had a King Tour Pak,hard bags,allthe chrome rails and brackets ,An early 70's Batwing and an aftermarket dash and stereo that I took off my Glide,plus the stock Hinged rear Fender and every chrome cover that you could buy .It was an old Shriner's Bike when I got it with the factory sprung buddy seat that had the pogo stick mount. Wolfie knows what that is if none of the rest do.

Long story short,I wanted a bar hopper back then and took a bunch of crap off of it. I was young back then and didn't want an old man's bike.I left all the extra parts at a buddies house and I use the term buddy loosely here.He and his ol lady got to partying a lot harder than they could afford and I guess he sold it all for nearly nothing and snorted it up his nose,as best I can tell.I had over 3k worth of parts in today's market and some of it pretty rare.I even had to go buy a lot of this stuff this past year,That I should have already had on hand.Of every thing I lost in that mess,I would rather have that factory rear fender with the hinge on the rear ,for easy tire removal.I would definitely have that on the back of the beast I am riding now.

The seat and the post(pogo stick mount) would bring over a grand now from someone wanting to restore an old Pan or Shovel.I still want to slap the taste out of that guys mouth.

P.S. I know I took it all off a bike back then and put all of it on a different bike now.I want and need an old man's bike now.I just hated having to spend money on stuff I should already own.

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Matuza's

:DI went with the Matuzas they have a few different for the same price and came with some H.D. brackets. They also have lights on the top rear and I added some round L.E.D.'s on the bottoms. I bought the ones that open from the top, instead of the side and they hold a lot, oil, tools, jacket, gloves ect. not bad, not the best but nice finish. of course I removed the amber stock turn signals and wired them into that with two load equalizers to make the turn flash speed right . a lot safer too.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Nice !....post up a pic when ya get em mounted !:beerchug:

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
See above

They are in the picture above, I can take closer picts on the weekend after installing my crash guard.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Hey, I just found this thread. Been wanting to replace my soft bags with hard ones. Looked over the Mutazu site and really like the FY hard bags with the built in turn signals. Here's my q: Which of the available mounting systems would work best for the 750? I already have a soft bag support installed, most likely made by F&S. Thanks!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Denny6006
P.S. I know I took it all off a bike back then and put all of it on a different bike now.I want and need an old man's bike now. I just hated having to spend money on stuff I should've already own.
I know the feeling......I've had similar situations/losses.

:smiley_th

1 - 20 of 21 Posts