Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put any different handlebars on in place of the stock mini apes? The factory levers have that stupid bend in them, i know the clutch can be changed. Any suggestions on the front brake?

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Lol @ KM...yes you can change the bars, just make sure they are 7/8" bars. If you get any kind of low profile bars or drag bars you may need risers. Anything over I believe 12" in height you will need to order longer cables. Certain state laws have hieght restrictions. You can change the levers as long as they are for 7/8" bars. And as knifemaker stated try using the search tab at the top of they page, there are lots of threads on this topic.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Lol @ KM...yes you can change the bars, just make sure they are 7/8" bars. If you get any kind of low profile bars or drag bars you may need risers. Anything over I believe 12" in height you will need to order longer cables. Certain state laws have hieght restrictions. You can change the levers as long as they are for 7/8" bars. And as knifemaker stated try using the search tab at the top of they page, there are lots of threads on this topic.
I have 14" apes with stock cables, I had to splice the right hand controls to make the connectors reach. As for the strick levers... I changed mine out to stock Honda CX500 controls later on for a more custom look, and because they were made out of aluminum so I was able to polish them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I have 14" apes with stock cables, I had to splice the right hand controls to make the connectors reach. As for the strick levers... I changed mine out to stock Honda CX500 controls later on for a more custom look, and because they were made out of aluminum so I was able to polish them.

Thanks slim, that's good to know. I've been wanting some 14's.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm actually in the tear down process myself to install 16's

I needed to get new brake lines, had motion pro make new throttle,clutch and choke cables, and had to extend the electrical wiring from both the left and right hand controls.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I'm actually in the tear down process myself to install 16's

I needed to get new brake lines, had motion pro make new throttle,clutch and choke cables, and had to extend the electrical wiring from both the left and right hand controls.

X2 on motion pro, they are great to work with. Can you list the custom lengths you ordered for future reference?

·
Registered
456 Posts
X2 on motion pro, they are great to work with. Can you list the custom lengths you ordered for future reference?
Yea motion pro was fantastic to work with, they make really good stuff.

You don't even need to tell them a length or part number, just tell them you need all the cables for the vn750 in + what ever length you want over the stock ones and they do the rest.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
Yea motion pro was fantastic to work with, they make really good stuff.

You don't even need to tell them a length or part number, just tell them you need all the cables for the vn750 in + what ever length you want over the stock ones and they do the rest.

Wow that's cool.in the future might go for big apes on Melissa Fayhe.for now have a cool set of 12" z bars.would they be able to do harley master to Kawasaki calipers?might go 1" not sure.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
oh man now im gonna have to play with some 1 inch bars

·
Registered
456 Posts
if you going to change out he brake MC do yourself a favor a go with new stainless steel braid lines, wow do they make a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts