Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
notmechanical
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if im moving from the stock bars of my 94 vulcan 750 to a shorter drag bar type do you have to cut the cables so theres not so much slack? I took them of and tried to re assemble but the cables seemed messed up (throttle and choke).
When i tried putting the twist throttle back and hooking the cables in it was not :lockd:

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
He said he re-routed them.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
So if im moving from the stock bars of my 94 vulcan 750 to a shorter drag bar type do you have to cut the cables so theres not so much slack? I took them of and tried to re assemble but the cables seemed messed up (throttle and choke).
When i tried putting the twist throttle back and hooking the cables in it was not :lockd:
I use shorter than stock bars and getting equipment back on the bar was a pain because of the extra cable length. The clutch cable was the most PITA to deal with. I have it outside the cable brackets. Gotta be careful of where it is though, I've had it catch the top corner of the radiator shroud.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I'm swapping my bars out next week so this is all helpful information! Thanks!

·
notmechanical
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drill hole

so reroute the cables and it should be fine.....i saw my stock bars had a hole drilled, i had asked earlier if i had to drill, i heard no and yes...but im going with yes to be the safest, hopefully i can figure this all out on my own. thanks everyone for the info it all helps.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
so reroute the cables and it should be fine.....i saw my stock bars had a hole drilled, i had asked earlier if i had to drill, i heard no and yes...but im going with yes to be the safest, hopefully i can figure this all out on my own. thanks everyone for the info it all helps.
Dude, don't waste your time. The hole is not needed. All you need to do is cut off the tab on the housings and make sure the screws are tight. They will only move as far as the lever mounts will allow them, which isn't far. I've ridden mine like this for at least 1000 miles and not one screw has fallen off. If you are concerned about the housings moving, wrap a piece of electrical tape around the bar where they will be mounted.

I've been through 3 different bars and no problems what-so-ever.

·
Registered
137 Posts
mine were not drilled, but that was done by previous owner. I would drill the holes, it does not take long and easy to do. I did not use the stock cable routing brackets, just ran them differently.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts