Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my handlebars back to stock (thanks Crobins365)

The previous owner put some motocross looking handlebars on - needless to say they are a bit shorter (in height) than the stock bars.

Changing them doesn't seem like it would be too difficult but I wanted to reach out for any advice from everyone. Anything I should be aware of or consider?

My one concern so far is that when the shorter but wider handlebars were put on in the past that some cables may have been shortened too. I 'think' there is some slack in all of them (concerned about the clutch cable).

Thanks in advance

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
i swapped mine out in about 15 mins a phillips , 10mm ,and 6mm allen is all you really need

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input.

After the change - does anything have to be adjusted? Probably a dumb question but I was curious about the clutch or throttle cables.

Thanks again

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Thanks for all the input.

After the change - does anything have to be adjusted? Probably a dumb question but I was curious about the clutch or throttle cables.

Thanks again
the throttle has a little tab that fits into a hole in the bars, the brake i just adjusted to where it felt comfortable as well as the clutch

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew there was one other question I had - what about the grips? Do I have to get new grips (at this point I'm assuming the handlebar diameters are the same)? I was told once that to remove grips they basically get destroyed.

What's the best way to get the grips off? What type of adhesive do I use to put them back on?

And a really newbie question - does the throttle grip get glued on?

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
you will probably need new grips. stock bars are 7/8 diameter and get 6 in. length or you'll have gaps between the grips and controls. Found this out when JCW set the wrong size. You can't move the controls there's a pilot pin that dictates where it's position (could grind it off I guess).

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If a cable seems too short, try to re-route it. I had a problem with my choke cable, it didn't appear to be too short, but when I moved my handlebars to the right full-lock, the bike would die.

Changed the choke cable's routing and now it doesn't get pulled when I move the handlebars.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
The right grip comes off with the throttle tube. The left grip however might be a pain. You can try blowing compressed air under it, prying it back with a screwdriver and spraying WD40 or carb cleaner between the grip and the bar, or a combination off all the above.

Depends on if the grip was glued down...and with what. As you can buy new grips for ten bucks, it be easier just to cut the old ones off....but then you will have to file down the tabs on the throttle tube to get the new grip on.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not even sure what the tabs are you refer to (have an idea I guess). I will see what they are when the grips come off.

As for new grips - I have read some suggest the Goldwing grip (I think). Is that the preference for fit and function? What about the Kuryaken grips - though they are expensive?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just had another thought - since I'm changing bars - I could just leave the grips on and use new grips anyway - unless they are too expensive. I really don't know how much they cost as I will be buying them retail somewhere locally (versus a web order).

·
1,100 Posts
Grips can be as low as 10 bucks or over 100. Again, 7/8 diameter and 6 inches long. In that size anything will fit. But yeah if the bars you're putting on have grips in good shape just use them. I thought you were looking to transfer them from one to the other and unless they're really nice ones, I don't think I'd bother. Good luck.
I just had another thought - since I'm changing bars - I could just leave the grips on and use new grips anyway - unless they are too expensive. I really don't know how much they cost as I will be buying them retail somewhere locally (versus a web order).
I'm confused... the bars that you are switching to, they have grips on them already? if so and they're nice, yeah just use them. You don't need to take them off to put on the controls (you'll have to connect the throttle cables to the right side tho of course).

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't explain myself well. I doubt the new bars have grips (but haven't seen them yet). What I really was trying to say is that maybe I won't wrestle with pulling the grips of the existing and just get new grips when I change the bars. that was it...

But - thanks for the info. I will check what prices are locally and make a decision. I haven't really looked at them yet (other than browsing and checking out the ones I can't afford :) ).

So for the $10 grips - I assume they would be just generic black dirtbike looking grips?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put your controls on before clamping the bars on.
Niterider - I was mentioning something to Crobins:

I'm assuming that when the PO changed the handlebars from stock on my 750 that he/she had to modify the switch control housings by removing the 'projections' that fit in the holes on the handlebars. So far they stay on the bars tight and don't move.

I'm also assuming that if these 'projections' have been ground or broken off that they should still go on the stock bars tightly without moving around.

Like I said - it's all assumption at this point. Crobins thought you might have had some similar issue in the past and suggested asking you

Thanks

·
1,100 Posts
I didn't explain myself well. I doubt the new bars have grips (but haven't seen them yet). What I really was trying to say is that maybe I won't wrestle with pulling the grips of the existing and just get new grips when I change the bars. that was it...

But - thanks for the info. I will check what prices are locally and make a decision. I haven't really looked at them yet (other than browsing and checking out the ones I can't afford :) ).

So for the $10 grips - I assume they would be just generic black dirtbike looking grips?
Ok I gotcha now. I'm a lil slow sometimes, lol. Yes that would be the best plan. New bars - new grips. all nice and pretty.

I bought some grips for about 15 bucks (online tho) and they are chrome and foam. They're decent for now but I'll be buying some really nice ones probably next season. I do like the Kuryakin's. A friend has them and I was impressed with the quality. Set him back 90 bucks tho so it's all in what's important to you

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah that's true. I am going to check out a few cycle shops and maybe cyclegear to see what's out there

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If you leave the left hand side grip on you will have to remove the choke control out the right side bar. On mine I only had a tab on the right side control. At the clamp the bars will have a dimple that lines up with the clamp where the clamp and the bottom plate mate.

·
1,100 Posts
Yeah good call Niterider. forgot about the choke lever being a ring.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts