Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my left handle grip is sliding off the handle bar a little bit at a time. Maybe it is vibrating off(?) At first I could beat it back on by laying a little board across the end of the grip and beating it with a hammer. That doesn't seem to work anymore. What the heck is going on? The grip has slid off about one-half inch from where it used to be and doesn't want to go back. 2005 VN750.
Thanks - Dan

·
Registered
572 Posts
For some reason my left handle grip is sliding off the handle bar a little bit at a time. Maybe it is vibrating off(?) At first I could beat it back on by laying a little board across the end of the grip and beating it with a hammer. That doesn't seem to work anymore. What the heck is going on? The grip has slid off about one-half inch from where it used to be and doesn't want to go back. 2005 VN750.
Thanks - Dan
if i were u i would prolly just lift up part of it and blow air w/ an air nossel into it to take it off. after taking it off wash it and the bars. put the grip on wet, but put hairspray on it also.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Oglejust. I will give that a shot tomorrow. I have a little 3 gallon air compressor that might do the trick.
dan

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks Oglejust. I will give that a shot tomorrow. I have a little 3 gallon air compressor that might do the trick.
dan
ya it dont take much air.... just enuff to lift the grip. u dont even have to do that if u can get the grip off w/o it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I put my grips on w hairspray. First rain ride I was caught in, the left one startd slipping off. Soon as everythign was dry I pullied it off, shot a tough of spray adhesie on it and slide it back on. I might have to cut it off later but I'd hate to be in a turn and it slips off in my hand.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I put my grips on w hairspray. First rain ride I was caught in, the left one startd slipping off. Soon as everythign was dry I pullied it off, shot a tough of spray adhesie on it and slide it back on. I might have to cut it off later but I'd hate to be in a turn and it slips off in my hand.
true

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing, but seems to be holding pretty good, only have to beat it back on about every couple of months... I think they are supposed to be glued from the factory... I know the Kawasaki shop sells a grip glue for about $2, guess I should get a tube and do mine also...
Thanks have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can use spray paint, it works great!

·
239 Posts
silicone caulking works great to

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can also use a mix of water and dishsoap; helps them slide on a little easier and when the mixture dries, the soap acts like a glue but the "seal" is easier to break when or if you need to take them off.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest report: I used the compressed air to take off the handle grip, that worked great. Had it off in 10 seconds (thanks Oglejust). Then I put a little bit of rubber cement down inside the handle grip and a little water on the handle bar. A couple whacks with the hammer and the grip slid all the way on where it's supposed to be. It hasn't moved one mm since.
Thanks,
Dan - Seattle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts