Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put on my new bars and it's a bastage trying to break everything loose. So my question is, is there an easy way to remove the new grips I put on?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
removing grips and keeping them intact is more difficult than simply ripping off the old ones.

If you want to keep them intact, try some goo gone or something stronger - penetrating oil / brake cleaner / brake fluid.

You have to dissolve those glues and they are strong.

If you don't care about the grip, run a hacksaw along the grip and peel the grip from the metal, then clean up the metal ready for new grip.

don't forget to protect the scratched up spots from rust or oxidation etc...

kenny

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I wanted to keep the grips. They weren't expensive but I just don't have money to buy a new pair. Also trying to get the bars out themselves is not really working.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
One thing I have thought of but never tried is the method that my dad uses to remove grips from golf clubs. He uses mineral spirits to loosen the glue on the tape he uses. He pries the edge a little, squirts the mineral spirits in there and starts twisting/prying/spraying until the grip twists off. Only takes a few minutes and lets him reuse the grips.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok got the left side grip off. Now I just can't get the 4 Allen key bolts out. I already stripped one a bit. Any recommendations?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Get a torx bit slightly larger than that Allen that you stripped out. Tap it in squarely with a hammer and go slow. Should be able to get that bolt off.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Ok got the left side grip off. Now I just can't get the 4 Allen key bolts out. I already stripped one a bit. Any recommendations?
Yeah, I had problems with the Allens when replacing Brushed Aluminum Cap with a newer Chrome Cap.

I had to pound/jam a 3/8" drive (maybe it was 1/2" drive ?) male head Torx Socket into them to break two of four loose....I replaced them with 4 new allens.

hth
:smiley_th

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh thanks guys. Guess I'm off to the auto store. I want these bars on today damn it haha

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
If you have a local bike dealer, you could try to barrow their tool to remove the grips. They typically use compressed air.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The torx bit worked beautifully. So I get everything back on and this is the problem now.
The clutch cable is so tight and the master cylinder is blocking the rpm gauge. How am I to solve this? Would I have to order risers?

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Just wanted to mention ... You need metric allen wrenches for the allen screws. SAE will strip them every time.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any ideas here people? I'm hoping I didn't just waste money on these bars.

·
Mountain Man
175 Posts
Idk on the master cylinder side. You might reroute the clutch cable up through the gauges instead of over them and get enough slack. If not you can order up a +4 longer cable. From the look of it the master cylinder is gonna have to be slid out towards the end of the bar, or you'll have to get some risers.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
The clutch cable is so tight and the master cylinder is blocking the rpm gauge. How am I to solve this? Would I have to order risers?
Problem with adding something that don't fit....;)

You can try moving the instruments or replacing them. Get a longer clutch cable and route it to the right and back?
You can use another MC, maybe a remote resiviour like sport bikes use?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
IMO, theyre ugly azz bars...but, hay, just bein honest.....yer choice...

Really, with me, I rarely look at the tach....I shift from "feel" and "sound"....no reason to rev the bike to redline lest yer racing....I usually shift around 4k anyway.....

I dunno what to tell ya bro, unless ya brought it up here....I mean, theres custom stuff you can do, that just wont work w/o other stuff too.....

Best thing I can suggest is to can the tach, and mount a speedo centered....unless yer doin diagnostics, a tach is for idiots anyway... IMO....

Yer 45 mins from here....want me to fix, I will, yer a brother.....

Im just gettin a lotta work in now....so if ya want, get it here soon.....else it might be months....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I could ride it there wolfie I would.
Where do I go about buying bigger cables?
I'm friggen broke and figured these would slip right on.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If you like the lower bars....I got a nice pair of 7/8s you may like, no cable changes needed......Id do an even trade with ya....I dont really want yours, Id flip em....but when ya get a chance, as per yer email, cmon up bro....aint that far.....I'll even make ya some Wolfieburgers.....

If I was younger and had a back, Id consider puttin these on Bessie....
Besides....if ya want outrageous, I can weld on some stuff like a spiderweb or sumpin, lol....or I can mod yours.....

You can also get 7/8 dogbone risers that might give ya a better sight window.....

Kinda like these.....but I think ya only need like 3".....you can angle em too, to make em lower....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-HANDLEBAR-DOGBONE-7-8-RISERS-1960s-chopper-Jammer-Bobber-/321379228011?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad3b1d96b&vxp=mtr#ht_630wt_863

Do a search on 7/8" dogbone risers....plenny out there.....new and used....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do your bars look like wolf? If I'm a fan of em I'll trade ya my bars and some beers haha

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Never....EVER judge bars unless ya feel em....even ones Ive ordered online, ive actually sat and felt.....

You cmon up here, I'll let ya set on Bessie and hold these....theyre a similar bend, but lower....I can change that too (bend)....ya hold em, and close yer eyes....thats how ya know what bars will fit ya nice.....that was actually a paraphrase from an old post Knifemake made.....

I gotta take Mom to the dentist Weds....thats a whole day thing because we go food shoppin too....but any time after that, just gimme a day notice....Im usually around here and in the shop....

You got my number....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where would I find longer cables? Only see oem cables on most sites.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts