Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've read many......... Many, many, many threads on handlebars and I've seen different opinions and advice from different people. Is there a difinitive answer to how high you can go without changing any hoses, cables or wires. I've read that you can go as high as 12" apes without any mods save for some cable re-routing....... I've also read that if you go to 12" you need a new upper brake hose. Does anyone have any experience with this?????
I'm a big guy and could do with a slightly higher arm position........ An extra 4 inches on top of the stock mini apes would be ideal.

Also, I've read some old posts that members on the forum make and sell highway pegs that mount on to the frame. I can't find any engine guards online and sometimes I need a little stretch while riding. I have no access to the tools or materials I'd need to fabricate my own. Are any of these members still active and selling their highway pegs????

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Is there a difinitive answer to how high you can go without changing any hoses, cables or wires.

Cheers guys.
Just curious but have you tried just turning them forward a bit? That would loosen up your wires/cables, increase your reach, and save you buying/installing new ones.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Personally, I don't know if the folks are still selling their pegs. I just made a set for my bike based on the design that Knifemaker has. I don't have access to a CNC machine to make the one-piece types that some used to (still?) make. I have a bench grinder, several hand files, a vise, a drill press, and a roto-tool with lots of good cutting pads. Those I used a lot. Other than those, I didn't need anything else. Oh yes, a garage to work in, I suppose. I spent a bit over $100 for the parts and some of those I actually got too much of. My intention when I cut the length of the bars initially was to make them long, see where that would put my feet, and then drill and cut them down until I found a comfortable fit for my feet/legs. It turned out that what I thought would be too long was just where I wanted it anyway. So my footbar is several inches higher and a few inches forward than his. Its actually just about as far forward as you'd want to place it before running into front wheel issues. Your not having access to tools puts the kibosh on making them, though.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
yes you need a longer top brake hose. throttle cable and choke cable you can reroute. i ordered a longer clutch cable when i got my 14 inch bars because mine was broken. motion pro did mine and i had it in a week

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the reies. I'll take all your posts into consideration....... With regards the engine guard. I live in Ireland so it'd probably be another $125 with shipping and import charges. Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm 6' 6 inches and found the room I needed out of the handle bars by turning them forward as suggested. It makes putting a windshield on a little weird, but I'm too tall for any windshield anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah so I pushed the bars forward and hey presto..... Loads of room....... I might even need to pull them back in a little. Isn't it amazing what can happen when you use a little sense!!!! Cheers guys.

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
Thanks all for the reies. I'll take all your posts into consideration....... With regards the engine guard. I live in Ireland so it'd probably be another $125 with shipping and import charges. Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers guys.
hello buddy, I live in Belfast... Good to see another Vulcan rider this side of the pond :wink2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah good stuff........ I know there are a few of us on this island but I haven't seen any yet...... I get excited when I see a what I think is a Vulcan 750 coming towards me I my to realise it's an Ltd454 or an En500........ Hahahahaha. Rare bikes over here.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yeah so I pushed the bars forward and hey presto..... Loads of room....... I might even need to pull them back in a little. Isn't it amazing what can happen when you use a little sense!!!! Cheers guys.
Glad i could help.

You know, i used to handle bars on the highway, but i gave it up a long time ago.

:nerd:

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Gaz, my wife and I are making a trip to Ireland in June '17 to see the country of my family's heritage. We'll be basing in Galway, but planning to see as much of the country as we can in the 10 days we'll be there. Maybe we could meet up for a pint...or two..or three! :)

Reactions: Gaz73
1 - 13 of 13 Posts