Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 Vulcan 750 with a noticeable bend in the bars from when it fell off the side kickstand while parked on a downhill slope. So, I ordered another bar off ebay. The new (salvaged) bar came in and it also has a very slight bend on the same side. Can I correct it without weakening it too much? It is at the first bend and probably 3 or 4 mm in one direction. If so what is the best way to do it? Thanks

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I straightened mine when they were slightly bent. Someone told me they would break and fall off, but they've last a few thousand miles. As long as the bar isn't kinked.

I found fixed points to measure from.

Got creative with a hand full of 2" ratchet straps, pickup truck, and heavy lawn tractor.

Put the bike on the centerstand, sideways and close to the back bumper of the truck, parked the lawn tractor on the other side of the bike.

Strapped the bike to the truck, positioned the tractor so the strap would pull the right direction (on the tractor side).

Kept pulling and re-checking measurements, pulled just slightly past where it needed to be, and took the strap off. It was perfect.

Need make sure you're not pulling the bike off the centerstand, the two vehicles were just anchors, the strap did the pulling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Since I posted, I've noticed a lot of vibration (more on the bent side) and I think I'm going for a new steel bar, gel grips, and a vibration dampening insert/end cap.

It's not bad to ride now,; but the old carpal tunnel is coming back.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
A large bench vise and a four foot cheater bar can do wonders....

Had as set of clubman bars that one side was bent. Figured what direction I needed to go, traced the angle needed on a large piece of graph paper and lacking the big vise, stuck the other part of the handle bar into the frame of a garage door. Kept tweeting it with the 4 foot pipe and checking it for symmetry against the paper till it was spot on.

Was a good three inches out of whack to start with, but never had the bar break on me.

(Oh, kinda fuked up the garage door frame...big hammer fixed it)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
A large bench vise and a four foot cheater bar can do wonders....

Had as set of clubman bars that one side was bent. Figured what direction I needed to go, traced the angle needed on a large piece of graph paper and lacking the big vise, stuck the other part of the handle bar into the frame of a garage door. Kept tweeting it with the 4 foot pipe and checking it for symmetry against the paper till it was spot on.

Was a good three inches out of whack to start with, but never had the bar break on me.

(Oh, kinda fuked up the garage door frame...big hammer fixed it)
i knew you had some redneck in ya lol

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts