Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, its been a long while since I've been on here. I've finally got around to doing the earshave and a full carb cleaning and rebuild with new original size jets. I'm running 89 gas in the bike, and I backed out the air fuel mixture screws 2.5 turns on each side when I installed new screws. I currently have the coaster hoses plugged with a marble on each side. I got rid of the entire airbox system and air vent valve (earshave) . However I could not get either pod filter on the carb directly because of the gas tank clearance and the right size coolant elbow coming off the cylinder head. I used the original carb boots from the surge tank and slipped both air filters inside, using a 3 inch screw down the middle of the connection to lock it in (female into female boots).

One air filter faces towards the back of the bike, the front cylinder air filter is facing the front of the bike, like a ram air. I have the carb vent tee (the middle of the carbs) connected to a hose that goes under my seat. The carb on the right side has a hose that is plugged with a screw. I have no problem idling or full throttle. Only have issues at cruising speed at light to maybe half throttle, it seems like its bogging or misfiring when riding at maybe 40 mph plus.

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
I have the carb vent tee (the middle of the carbs) connected to a hose that goes under my seat.

Move that to the nipple under the fuel tank or zip tie to TOP of frame rail under tank and ir will stop falling on its face at 35-40 mph and over. The vent must be in non turbulent air or the carbs suffer fuel starvation problems

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I have the carb vent tee (the middle of the carbs) connected to a hose that goes under my seat.

Move that to the nipple under the fuel tank or zip tie to TOP of frame rail under tank and ir will stop falling on its face at 35-40 mph and over. The vent must be in non turbulent air or the carbs suffer fuel starvation problems
Yes, other people have had the same problem with the vent under the seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys. Didn't get a chance to read before I found my fix, but I ended up cutting the right side air filter boot in half, leaving the remaining piece pointing towards the back of the bike, and reinstalled my air filter so that it faces away from turbulent/ram air. Now it runs great. I wanna see about setting the right air fuel mixture as im riding blind right now. It has excellent throttle response, I no longer get that hanging rpm upon release of throttle at speed, and idles perfectly. I kinda feel like mid to high rpm lost some torque, maybe due to air fuel mixture being off. Oh, i also used 1/8 inch cork from auto zone to make my stator cover gasket because I was tired of using silicone over and over each time I did my stator. (Did my own stator plate mod)

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
The air screw won't have any effect on mid to high speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts