Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

does anyone have expearances with Hagon Shocks ???

I'm thinking of replacing the original Kawasaki shocks because on one air-valve comes oil out when I tried to get the air out.

I would like to have the Hagon Road Twin Shocks with Full Chrome Shroud.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Hagon is a very well respected name in the suspension world. Having said that, let me also say that I replaced the oil in an air/oil shock, and at first I also got a blast of oil mixed with the air. The key is to let the shock sit for a bit before releasing the air so the oil settles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have received the Hagon Shocks now. The cost were 160,-- € incl. shipping. They do their job better than the stock ones but the look of the shocks isn't of high quality - well it's 160 € and this is very cheap.

But has anyone done the shock's oil change on the stock shocks ???

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
But has anyone done the shock's oil change on the stock shocks ???
I have. In theory it is simple but in practice quite a lot of work. You remove the air valve, but the hole where it was is too small. When you try to pour out the old oil, the vacuum that forms inside the shock prevents the oil from coming out. Same when you try to get new oil in - it won't go.

Getting the old oil out was not too bad. You place the shock upside down in a vessel - I used a plastic flower pot - and pump. Good exercise.

Getting the new oil in was more difficult. I had to devise a lever to compress the shock with one hand and slowly release the compression while pouring in new oil with the other hand. Here is a skillfully drawn sketch.:doh:

To fill it completely up you need to have the shock tilted upwards. Then pump out the excess oil.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Some of this vulcans have both from and rear air shocks. AJ is probably talking about the front air shocks.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Nope - it was a rear shock from a ZX600. I got blasted cause I had not allowed the oil to settle after I pulled the shock out of a drawer. After I let it settle down, the air came out fine. A small soffee stirrer also facilitated the removal of the old oil, and the opouring in of new oil. The biggest thing to remember for the gas/air shocks is that you are only supposed ot put either 1. What the factory says it the appropriate amount of oil, or 2. If no factory recommendation, only replace the amount you drianed out. Number 2 does not apply if you have a gas/air shock that leaked all the oil out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone a technical drawing of the rear shocks ???

After the oil change of the rear shocks - did the rebound damping work well again or better than before ???

Thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a detailled discription about how to change the shock oil of the stock shocks
can be obtained by every Kawasaki dealer.

After about 500 km on the Hagon shocks with half crome shroud, I'm very happy with them. The ride is much more comfortable than with the stock shocks. :smiley_th

1 - 10 of 10 Posts