Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need carbs rebuilt...was trying to get bike started to get it to the shop and I ran the battery dead. Attached jumper cables from bike to my old Honda Civic. Everything was turned off when I attached the cables. Put key back to 'on' position and the run switch to 'run', but all I get now is a click from the solenoid.

Any ideas?

1986 VN750.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Have you got a good connection at the jumper cable clips? I have used car cables to jump start my bike & the large clips can sometimes be difficult to get to stay onto the battery terminals. Also, if the bike battery is really old it may have short-circuited internally which would prevent the bike's electrical system getting full current from the car battery. Another thing you could try is to bridge the contacts on the solenoid with a heavy screwdriver or wrench to see if the engine turns. If it does then the solenoid is at fault. Make sure the bike is out of gear if you do this or you may get an unpleasant surprise!:beerchug:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ernie said:
Have you got a good connection at the jumper cable clips? I have used car cables to jump start my bike & the large clips can sometimes be difficult to get to stay onto the battery terminals. Also, if the bike battery is really old it may have short-circuited internally which would prevent the bike's electrical system getting full current from the car battery. Another thing you could try is to bridge the contacts on the solenoid with a heavy screwdriver or wrench to see if the engine turns. If it does then the solenoid is at fault. Make sure the bike is out of gear if you do this or you may get an unpleasant surprise!:beerchug:

Jumped across the solenoid and the starter cranked over. Got a new solenoid on order from Ron Ayres.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.