Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ol' granddad here had to take a ditch today to avoid t-boning a Jeep SUV. I was too close to do anything else. She did not see me until just before she stopped. Blocking both lanes.

Everything is ok. VN's could use better shocks. The bike stayed right with me leaving the road and leaving the ditch.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE,,,,

I decided I would post this.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Glad you're alright, that could have gone a completely different way.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks M.

that could have gone a completely different way.
Yes, at 55-60 mph I could have been just 50 ft closer when she decided to pull away from that stop sign.

Folks, they really don't see you. After I was back on the blacktop, I took a hard look in my mirrors. She evidently was so shook up she was still stopped blocking the whole road.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Good evasive skills! Glad you made it through that ditch. I woulda asked her to buy me lunch and a new pair of britches!

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good evasive skills!
Not really. If I had to have went any deeper in that ditch I would have had to deal with a culvert.

Just lucky this time. Also, I have rode long enough that I adjust the rear brake to where my foot never leaves it ever.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I guess what I meant by that is that you had good enough maneuverability to have the balance and control to make it through the ditch. We all ponder what we could have done better, after the fact.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jada. I was not going to post this, but decided it might cause thought.

When you have ridden as long as I have, you have lost a number of people from your world. Chances are you will not even see the one that counts.

True story-
A long time ago, a friend and co-worker of mine wreaked his chopper in St Louis on the interstate. After he was out of ICU, I took his wife and a few others to go the 150 mi to see him.
Butch,says I, what happened. He said "I don't know, I was still downshifting to 3rd when they put me on the stretcher".

Have fun, Just BE CAREFUL.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, Chuck lately posted a video In this section that is relevant.

I had to watch its reflection in a mirror though. Something backwards about it.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Ol' granddad here had to take a ditch today to avoid t-boning a Jeep SUV. I was too close to do anything else. She did not see me until just before she stopped. Blocking both lanes.

Everything is ok. VN's could use better shocks. The bike stayed right with me leaving the road and leaving the ditch.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE,,,,

I decided I would post this.
I've been saying that for years...;)

Any confrontation with a car you get through without getting hurt, or hurting your bike is a very good thing.
I've had to do some "unwanted off road maneuvers" several times in my riding career, all but one caused by a four wheeled thing with an appearently blind driver.
These little reminders to watch out for yourself always help others think about their own riding abilities. So, thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am so glad you got lucky. A colleague of mine rode down from Birmingham to Thunder Beach on the coast several times with this couple, who, 2 weekends ago, did NOT have your luck. He just got back from their funeral:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/3_people_killed_in_highway_119.html
I'm sorry to hear that.

I, and about 5 others, watched a good young man bleed to death in the middle of a city street. Wife and 2 little kids. About 20 mph accident. That's enough said.

edit- I believe this to be a superior thread, same topic.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32081

1 - 11 of 11 Posts