Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted my carburetor tales of woe here the last couple days, and tonight I finally got to pull them...

I don't know what the hell the last guy was thinking, (who opened them), but besides leaving little bits of shop rag throughout the carbs, and the float seats and needles, when he closed the carbs back up, rather than change the seals, he applied black RTV silicone to the old seals, and then closed up the carbs.

The RTV then oozed into the carbs, just like it does on the outside, and broke up into millions of little pieces, that again were found throughout both carbs. :wow:

Holy **** is all I can think to say, and what a :loser1:

I am happy though, because I found the problem, and it took me less than two hours to get those suckers out, apart, and cleaned up. Gather up some seals, fuel line, (he jacked the old lines up too), and some filters, and it's back on the road. (oil change and spark plugs are a must right after the carbs install)

I also found my mystery coolant leak while I was in there; underneath that plastic head tube cover is that coolant "manifold" with the bleeder on top- (don't know the correct name)- anyway, 2 of the lines that connected to it had the clamps in place, but they were loose, and just flopping around on the hoses.

Almost back on the road! :motorcycl

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
Glad to hear your on the road to recovery. Amazes me sometimes the crap some inept owners do to their machines with the intent of "fixing it" ..

I actualy had to work on a bike where the owner had used epoxy cement to seal his headlight ring in. Worked fine of course until the new owner had to replace a burnt out headlight and could not get the thing off.

Using crazy glue to attach grips, using motor oil for break fluid....seen it all.

KM

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Wow...

I ain't the best mechanic... I've been known to... umm... redneck engineer things... but my fixes work....

I just love the whole RTV on the carbs thing...

The PO of this bike didn't get a chance to mess with it too much and I've undone what the other PO's did wrong (not much... but definitely some).

Kinda wonder what the next owner will curse me for....

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some more "hacker" evidence- this is one of my home made air filters. Yes they both look like this, yes it's just plastic brillo pad stuff, yes it's held together with velcro, yes I have new, real filters coming, NO! I did not make these. :doh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
:wow:Those custom air filters are amazing!!!.........They were definitely made by some one who REALLY wanted to ride!

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
wow... I thought some of my "repairs" were "special"

That one takes it to a WHOLE 'nother level...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Who wants to venture a guess as to what the PO used for clutch plates?

·
Registered
126 Posts
id check your tires to see if he filled in the cracks with rubber cement if I were you-

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
WOW that is some great enginering and inginuity, on the part of the original owner of that bike. You may have more surprises to come. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts