Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If your Reserve Lighting Unit (RLU) has gone bad but your headlight filaments are still good, bypassing the RLU can keep you on the road past sundown.

Bypassing the RLU is also necessary to prevent headlight flickering when replacing the stock headlight with LED. The lower power consumption makes the RLU think the headlight is blown, causing it to send pulses of current instead of continuous power.

The procedure is easy:
1. Remove the right side cover. The RLU is a black box just under the cover, seen in the first picture held in place with two screws.
2. Disconnect the molex connector between the RLU and the main wiring harness
3. Jump the blue wire to the blue/yellow wire on the wiring harness. As seen in the second picture, that's the left and second-to-left slots on the bottom row of the connector.
4. Completely wrap the wiring harness's half of the connector in electrical tape to keep the jumper wire from working loose and/or shorting to something else on the bike.
5. Do not reconnect the RLU to the wiring harness. It can be removed completely in order to make room for other projects, like a R/R relocation.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
+1 vote for sticky post. Easy, clear, and concise. :beerchug:

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Always wanted to take this thing off. If my headlight goes out.. I'll notice, and hit the high beams myself :D

Nice post

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I'll post some nudey pics and some video links.we'll let the mods make it sticky;)

·
Registered
7,671 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Been a year, I get to vote again.

Sticky x 4
ok,the nudey pics were gonna be of a sweet little blonde as a reward to the moderators for making it a sticky, but seeing that that got me nowhere I'm gonna use it now as a threat.if this ain't made a sticky I'm posting nudes of a dumb ass ugly patch holder you all know and love.I'm almost ****ed up enough to find some cute little bar whore who is good with a camera (and other things.WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO)

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
And I aint gonna be completely nude.I ain't gonna take off my cut ;)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
well I guess you all are gonna be disappointed cause there ain't gonna be no nudey pics tonight. Sorry but the hottest chick at the bar tonight had an Adams Apple,so their ain't no chick to run the camera.and no,selfies are outta the question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 for sticky

And in case anyone else runs into issues like I did after adding a led headlight, I ended up pulling the whole rlu and leaving the blue and blue/yellow jumped on the remaining plug. Tried leaving it in and it never worked for me, blue to blue/orange just locked the high beams on. The only time I can get it right was after pulling the whole rlu after getting frustrated. Low and behold everything worked fine. Has anyone else just pulled their whole rlu?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1 for sticky

And in case anyone else runs into issues like I did after adding a led headlight, I ended up pulling the whole rlu and leaving the blue and blue/yellow jumped on the remaining plug. Tried leaving it in and it never worked for me, blue to blue/orange just locked the high beams on. The only time I can get it right was after pulling the whole rlu after getting frustrated. Low and behold everything worked fine. Has anyone else just pulled their whole rlu?
Glad it worked for you. You might be the first person to verify that this does indeed fix the headlight flicker.

Was it clear from the writeup that the RLU was not supposed to be plugged back in after doing the bypass? If that wasn't clear I'll edit the instructions.

As for jumping the blue to blue/orange ... hmm. With filament headlights, that might be an interesting route to boost the output of the underpowered stock headlight ... rewire the headlight switch to toggle between 'low' and 'both'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Thorn what I got from the instructions (for what it's worth) was to jump the blue and blue/yellow and then plug the rlu back in. This is doable with solder and does jump these 2 together and will show continuity with a meter. Not sure how I missed that was what I was supposed to do all along.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Thorn what I got from the instructions (for what it's worth) was to jump the blue and blue/yellow and then plug the rlu back in. This is doable with solder and does jump these 2 together and will show continuity with a meter. Not sure how I missed that was what I was supposed to do all along.
Instructions are only useful if people can follow them how you imagined!
I've added clarification to make it more obvious that the RLU should not be reconnected after jumping the wires. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I made a video on how to do this. This worked for me, and it may not be the BEST way to jump wires, but hell, it works. Thanks Thorn for the thread. Hopefully this will help others who are visual learners (like myself!)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Video is always good.
Please don't kill yourself with exhaust in a closed garage!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts