Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change to a sleeker style guage. Will any guage be able to be used or do we need specific ones to be accurate?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been thinking about changing my tank out so I can have the single gauge in the center of the tank and give the front of my bike a cleaner look. That and the extra fuel capacity would be nice too. Anyone on here done something like that?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I want to change to a sleeker style guage. Will any guage be able to be used or do we need specific ones to be accurate?
I think it was on eBay, I saw a smaller tach that is supposed to be for the Vulcan 750.
As for the tach, as I understand it, it works off one of the coils, so any that work like that, I'd think, would work on the Vulcan.

The speedo may be a bit more difficult. You'd probably need to have the correct gear ratio for it to be accurate. But that's not to say there isn't something out there that'll work. Just may take some trial & error to find a good replacement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
whats to stop you putting the new guage in the OEM tank?

you got to be careful when putting a new tank on, that its not to bulky, because believe me, its looks awful.

I was planning on putting the speedo in my tank but i was just too damm lazy, so i opted just to fit a flush fit pop-up cap instead.

One thing, if you do the speedo on tank thing, the tank is made of REALLY thin steel not heavy guage stuff that aftermarket parts are, and its easy to blow holes in with the welder :wow: !!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
And hold LESS fuel ??!!

It would look different though. :smiley_th

And if the Sportster has a 19" front wheel, the speedo would probably work, as long as it's not electronic.
Not sure about the tank though. I've never looked at one to know if they are anywhere close to similar in design/fit. But if you're handy with a tig welder, anything will fit!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want anything for the tank. I just want smaller guages. So if I understand ypu right, another motorcycle with a front whell of 19", the speedo will work?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
So if I understand you right, another motorcycle with a front wheel of 19", the speedo will work?
MOST speedo's use the same sized/shape cable end that goes into the speedo unit. (I even used a bicycle one on a dirbike before)

So, I would think, if the donor bike had a 19" wheel, it should be reasonably close to the same internal gearing to be somewhat accurate, and the OEM cable on the Vulcan should fit.
But, as with any mis-matching of bike parts, it's usually trial & error.
If you can find parts cheap, give it a try.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Actually I think a tank can be pulled off of a VN800 and used. Close in size and is already designed to have the speedo built into it...

you got to be careful when putting a new tank on, that its not to bulky, because believe me, its looks awful.

I was planning on putting the speedo in my tank but i was just too damm lazy, so i opted just to fit a flush fit pop-up cap instead.

One thing, if you do the speedo on tank thing, the tank is made of REALLY thin steel not heavy guage stuff that aftermarket parts are, and its easy to blow holes in with the welder :wow: !!

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
An 800 tank can't be used without some fairly major modification. That's what we thought too for EVie, our project bike but the frame is different.
If it were just a matter of welding new mounts it would be fine, but the tank does not sit down on the frame.
As it looks right now we will probably be going with a pair of harley split tanks

800 frame
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0468/frame/frame.cfm?man=ka&groupid=10990&parent=10910

750 frame
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0438/frame/frame.cfm?man=ka&groupid=10770&parent=10700

(Notice the Y coming off the top of the neck on the frame)
The bottom of the 800 tank is much narrower since it onle has a single support to rest on.

BTW Bucky, we also went with the 1500 forks and triple tree for EVie. Fits fine if you grind off the little stop on the neck. We then shimmed the bars so we could still use the 7/8" bars and controls

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts