Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed my bike has been having a hard time starting. I hooked up a sae voltmeter to the battery and it's not charging. I'm getting 11.6 to 12v tops. My headlight does not come on either. It only came back on after I trickle charged the battery. I disconnected the connector from the regulator and checked for continuity between the 3 yellow wires (stator wires right?) . There is continuity between all of them. Does this mean my stator is shorted? Each contact also has continuity to battery ground...

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Sorry to say If any of the leads are shorted to any ground on the bike that’s a sign it’s pretty much a shot stator.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just like you measured the continuity between the legs, measure the continuity between each leg and ground. Has anyone tried spray on lacquer on a grounded stator? I'm assuming its not worth the time at all but I have two stators that are visibly missing insulation on the windings that I wouldnt mind having as spares

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Once the insulation is gone, the wires are probably already touching each other somewhere, so coating it in lacquer would only seal the problem in place.
A rewind is really the only solution.
Speaking of rewinds, does anyone know the gauge of the wires used on the stator windings?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts