Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i searched the threads but did not find an answer to this question.

Last Saturday, i was on a poker run. at the first stop, i went to crank the bike back up and nothing. I thought is was dead. Tried it a few more times and noticed smoke coming from under the seat. that is never a good thing. I took off the seat and noticed the wires connected to the fuel sensor were completely melted. (the fuel guage has never worked anyway) So, i unplugged the fuel gauge wires under the seat, and the bike was dead. I figured I killed the battery. It push started just fine and i finished the run by getting pushed off at every stop. When I hot home, i took the battery off anf put in on the charger. Reinstalled and nothing. Checked the solenoid and got good readings and clicking from it. Figured it must be the starter.

I pulled off the starter and tested it. It seemed fine so i figure the battery must be bad. Since it was a wet cell i decided to replace it with a MF battery. My big crank battery came today. I installed it right away and nothing. I figure, it must be a connection somewhere. I ran a jumper to the positive studs on the starter and connected it to the battery,nothing! then I ran a jumper from the negative side to the starter connection with the frame. The starer turned and the engine tried to fire.

So, my conclusion is a bad ground somewhere. Anyone have any advise on where to start before I trace every wire down. I noticed that the negative sideisnot simply grounded to the frame like a car would be. It is connected to a yellow striped wire and disappears into the harness and under the tank.

Any help would be awesome! trying to go on a charity ride this weekend.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Check the battery to frame and the frame to engine ground connection. Remove, clean then reinstall. :beerchug:

Your ground wire from the battery should be the same as a car, connected to the frame.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
I could be wrong, but there should be a ground to the frame from the battery under the right side cover.

When you unplugged the wires to the fuel sensor did you fix the damaged wires?

Guessing you did check the fuses. Do you think the smoke was from the wires of the junction box...? You might have fried something in there.....

KM

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I could be wrong, but there should be a ground to the frame from the battery under the right side cover.

When you unplugged the wires to the fuel sensor did you fix the damaged wires?

Guessing you did check the fuses. Do you think the smoke was from the wires of the junction box...? You might have fried something in there.....

KM
The ground to frame is under the seat at the battery, the frame to engine ground is under the right cover.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My vintage XS650 Yamaha did the same thing: The battery ground rotted enough to look like it was connected, but no voltage was flowing (voltage flows from ground to positive).

DT

·
Hoser
118 Posts
I removed my ground wires for cleaning last nite. Surprised to find they were bolted to a painted surface! I used Dremel to grind off the paint, a Scotchbrite pad for the wires and engine case. FWIW, I had a really nice factory crimped 00 wire from my last custom build and used it to replace the batt to frame shorty. And I ran a second frame to engine wire, 10 guage, with shrinkwrapped crimped-then-soldered terminals.
Does it sound like I have had ground problems B4?

Pull your tank and side covers and examine all of your harness. I bet you will find more than the sender wires melted.
Good luck, and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same problem a few months ago. It was the batt to frame wire and wiggled loose. Then the connector broke off at the terminal a few weeks later. Mine had been smoking as well and melted some of the wires. It does sound like a grounding issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts