Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Sorry about that. Still trying to navigate the forum and didn't realize I posted twice. When they come in I'll either try your technique if i have the extra time or see if i can just return them for the correct size.
Thing to keep in mind is if you go ahead and get the correct size, they won't fit on throttle tube unless the ribs are cut down. The tube is made of cheap, composite materials which can break easily if handled wrongly. Personally, it would be easier to just adapt the larger grip then trying to sand / shave off the ribs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have put stock size grips on 7/8th bar before and was able to put the grip on the throttle tube without sanding/shaving off the ribs. I put the grip on halfway with soapy water, and then waiting until noon the next day for some heat to finish sliding it on with more soap water. No way it is coming back off without cutting.

Thing to keep in mind is if you go ahead and get the correct size, they won't fit on throttle tube unless the ribs are cut down. The tube is made of cheap, composite materials which can break easily if handled wrongly. Personally, it would be easier to just adapt the larger grip then trying to sand / shave off the ribs.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I have put stock size grips on 7/8th bar before and was able to put the grip on the throttle tube without sanding/shaving off the ribs. I put the grip on halfway with soapy water, and then waiting until noon the next day for some heat to finish sliding it on with more soap water. No way it is coming back off without cutting.
If using another rubber grip, then the ribs don't need to come off. Only the ISO (only brand I know of atm) grips for 7/8 bars require this.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Not true... if you get the right part number from kury for the vn750 or the honda gl1200, then they go on with no problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Odd, I could have sworn I read on here awhile back that the throttle tube ribs needed to be shaved for the ISO grip to fit. Eh, oh well, makes things a bit easier then.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts