Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Well, after talking to a motorcycle shop, I was told that the bar size on the 750 was 1 inch and not 7/8. Stupid me bought some cool looking grips that are 1 inch. Is there any way I can still use them?

All help is appreciated.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....not really...unless ya add a sleave...

...if I were you, Id bring em back to the shop and tell em they lied, and ya want a refund.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought them online because the store said they didn't have the size. I'm going to try and contact them on monday and see what they can do. I was reading somewhere that you can put some sort of liquid rubber or duct tape to help, but i don't know if that's a smart idea.
Sorry if this sounded dumb. I'm a newbie and don't really have friends that ride.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I would see if you can return them, if possible. It would suck to lose throttle because your grip came loose.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Yeah I'd try to swap them out for some 7/8 grips. Its not really safe using oversize grip (you could make them fit but like I said, not the smartest idea).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most on-line places will exchange for the right part if you pay shipping to send back the wrong grips. I do have stock style 1" bar for sale if you want to convert your bike to 1" bar. Mine is converted to 1" bar

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Yeah, dont try to use em....duct tape with a lil gas on em will make em stick, but they wont be "right"....or safe...
Dont ride until ya get grips for 7/8"....I know....the diff between 7/8 and 1" is minimal...1/16 all the way around to be exact...and yeah, you can make up the room with spacers, garden hose, etc for handlebar add ons....but dont do it for grips....

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Just for future reference to, if you are thinking about converting to 1 inch bars you would have to also get all new controls for your new bars. Imo definitely not worth spending $$$ for 1/8", when there is a huge selection of very cool 7/8" bars out there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm using all the stock controls :beerchug:
Even new larger throttle grip fits with the stock throttle housing
but it is more pain than it is worth. I am doing it just because it is different more or less and the style bars i have

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
What brand are they and does the throttle grip have a tube built in? When I bought my ISO grips, the online store didn't do a good job identifying the different sizes of grip and I ended up with 1 in ISO grips. After speaking with a member here, I got them to work. The e-switch housing had to enlarged to allow the new tube to fit and the clutch side was wrapped in e-tape. The grip doesn't slide off and it does twist, but that's no issue for me. Plus, I have a Kury bar-end mirror on clutch side to hold the grip on if need be. I got the oversized grips to adapt and I like having the larger grip to grab.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What brand are they and does the throttle grip have a tube built in? When I bought my ISO grips, the online store didn't do a good job identifying the different sizes of grip and I ended up with 1 in ISO grips. After speaking with a member here, I got them to work. The e-switch housing had to enlarged to allow the new tube to fit and the clutch side was wrapped in e-tape. The grip doesn't slide off and it does twist, but that's no issue for me. Plus, I have a Kury bar-end mirror on clutch side to hold the grip on if need be. I got the oversized grips to adapt and I like having the larger grip to grab.
I bought the iso grips. Can you direct me to that link please?

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
"and I like having a larger grip to grab" Bwahahahahahahahaha...sorry I am retarded! TIMMY!

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I bought the iso grips. Can you direct me to that link please?
Link for what? I just told you how to mount the new grips. You'll need to split the throttle side housing and enlarge the outer hole (faces throttle grip) just large enough to allow the grip to smoothly twist. I used a dremel. Took a while to do, but it worked.

That kit also comes with a tapered black spacer I used as a filler piece for the throttle grip. Don't cut it or anything. Just tap it onto the end of bar on throttle side. You can leave the spacer stick out a bit if you want a wider reach on the bar. Just be certain both grips are the same distance from vertical bar of handle bar. This spacer takes up excess room in the grip and prevents the grip from wiggling.

For the other side, I just started wrapping the bar with electrical tape until it was difficult to slide the grip onto. Take the end cap off the grip, this allows the grip to slide on a bit easier. I used a combination of heavy duty twist n push and a rubber mallet to get my grip on. It won't easily slip off even though it'll still twist.

This process is a bit time consuming; however, if you want to explore various handle bars, this allows you to easily swap grips w/o needing to deal with glue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are the ISO grips as well. Can you send me a link on how you put yours on?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
They are the ISO grips as well. Can you send me a link on how you put yours on?
He just posted twice on how to make your 1 inch ISO grips. Read what he says several times walk out to your bike and look at your handlebars, scratch your head, shrug your solders because you Have no clue what blaze is saying, then either picture what he is saying or get 7/8 inch grips.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I screwed up my installation of my grips so I can only recommend what others here have stated. Try and return or just sell them on eBay or here. Get a pair that's safe for the bike.
considering vibration I wouldn't take the chance. Good luck!

VN 900's have a 1" bar. Check out another forum and sell them.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Hello there,

Well, after talking to a motorcycle shop, I was told that the bar size on the 750 was 1 inch and not 7/8. Stupid me bought some cool looking grips that are 1 inch. Is there any way I can still use them?
Yes. Buy a new bike that has 1" bars. :)

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I screwed up my installation of my grips so I can only recommend what others here have stated. Try and return or just sell them on eBay or here. Get a pair that's safe for the bike.
considering vibration I wouldn't take the chance. Good luck!

VN 900's have a 1" bar. Check out another forum and sell them.
Dude, I've ridden at least 1000 mikes with this setup and have yet to encounter any issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry about that. Still trying to navigate the forum and didn't realize I posted twice. When they come in I'll either try your technique if i have the extra time or see if i can just return them for the correct size.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts