Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see what you hold. I'm on the market for new ones, but have not seen many posts about the ones out there on the road. Im particularly interested in how people have made their own since it's pretty easy. I was thinking of using old bicylcle inner tubes.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
A while back you could find the Kuryakyn ISO grips for about $22 on ebay, they start around $28 now. Got mine with the spiked ends and palm rest. They're great, very comfy.

Bar size is 7/8".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been lookin at those, they're still about the same price. How do they hold up durability wise?

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Fantastic. Been on there 2-3 years and still look new, but I don't leave the bike out in the rain.

I like them so well, they're going on all my ATVs. Comfortable, and you get a good grip with them. Big switch from the thin rubber superbike grips that came on it.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Hands down the factory grips are the best on the bike. Preferences will vary for style, but nothing is as comfortable and grips like the stock rubber ones. I paid more for new oem stock grips than i ever have for any aftermarket ones. The problem usually is most people just don’t ride their bikes. They may weekend warrior, or a couple times a month, but they don’t use their bike every day or for long periods at a time. When you just ride “sometimes” you can be more into how AwEsOMe they look. Persons like myself and others that i know who ride every time the sun comes up, all day, unanimously agree the stock grips are the best by a LONG SHOT. This is the opinion of who i know, your mileage may vary.

I’ve never heard, not once, the stock grips are uncomfortable, slippery, or bad in any way. So even if they don’t bling bling and twinkle in your eye, for the purpose of being handle grips they are fantastic and i can ride 8 hours with no hand fatigue....... 7.5 hours long than the next closest thing i can do before hand fatigue.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Have you ever had a set of ISOs in your hands? ISOs may be pretty, but they can't help it. They're comfy and cool. The air flows under your hands too.

Those stock grips are just weird.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Have I tried is a harder question than have i not tried....... I’ve had a few.....

These grips on the KZ are steel and were the SECOND most comfortable ones I’ve used, but $135.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
.......and we are talking about 20+ things that have handlebars not including my jet skis.

I’ve actually looked into vulcan grips for my ski’s.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Have you ever had a set of ISOs in your hands? They're also steel, with rubber pads.

The first pic of the Kaw... there are ISO grips like those. You can pay $90-100 for ISOs, if you go to the bike shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So are there any good steps for a non-mechanically inclined person to swap out stock grips on a 2002 Vulcan 750 with Kuryakyn ISOs?
Sounds like the throttle side is the hard part?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
So are there any good steps for a non-mechanically inclined person to swap out stock grips on a 2002 Vulcan 750 with Kuryakyn ISOs?
Sounds like the throttle side is the hard part?

Thanks
It's not a big deal, the ones I bought came with the throttle tube. The hardest thing was gluing them a second time because I didn't use enough.

I broke a small piece of plastic where the cable slips in place, but after it's all on the bars it doesn't matter.

I used compressed air to get the old grips off, but they weren't stock. Take a blowgun and blast air into the grip and it pops off by itself.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,699 Posts
for me, I kept the stock grips. I just liked them. they fit good in my hands. I never really saw a reason to fix some thing that wasn't broken. but that was just me.

·
Super Moderator
11,833 Posts
I use these on all the bikes I’ve owned. The stock grips on the Vulcan are fine, but these are just a tad softer and seem less slippery when wet. (I pick the black/black model not the colorful ones)

·
Super Moderator
11,833 Posts
The black/grey ones look good if you have one of the black/grey bikes.
When I was racing, I liked the foam “Grab On” grips. (More cush for white knuckle riding)
I’ll tell you right now, the stock grips on my Bonneville felt like concrete. First change I made to the bike was to cut them off and install the gels.

Grab on also makes some slip on foam grips that fit right over your existing grips. Really great if you have large hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts