Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 1992 vulcan 750 and have just replaced the regulator rectifier, impeller, mechanical seal and the stator. Not fun, but i have a friend who was helpful. Now that i thought i was set to add fluid and get back on the road i found a new problem. When i moved the bike i now hear a grinding sound, maybe from the shaft. Of course i had the motor out and followed the clymer maintenance book. Everything seemed to go well but i am worried about starting it and making more problems for myself. has anyone run into this or even hear about it somewhere?

thanks for any help you may have!

MK

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
A grinding sound from the drive shaft is not a good thing.
Could be the rear splines are worn out from insufficient lubrication. :(
How many miles are on the bike?

Take a look at fergy`s spline lube link:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

If you guys had the motor out, the spline lube check and lube will be a piece of cake.
If you need a replacement final drive or drive shaft/coupling, they can often be found on ebay or sometimes from members here at a reasonable price.

BTW, welcome to the Vulcan madness. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 24,000 miles on it. I will try to check out the splines again this week. I did grease it when i put it back together, and it seemed to slide in correctly. Any way it could go back in and not be lined up correctly, or would it just not have gone in if it was not lined up right? thanks for the help and the welcome.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Did it make the noise before? If not, then it's most likely misaligned.
Did you pull the front gear case?
Put it up on the center stand, put it in gear, and slowly turn the rear wheel and see if will turn. If it does, then the drive shaft isn't mated on the bevel gear right.
There are 2 damper cams that need to be lined up, but I'm not sure if the case would go on if they weren't lined up.
You should go back in and check to make sure.
There is a small rubber boot between the gear case and swing arm you can pull back and try to spin the drive shaft with it up on the center stand to see where the noise is coming from for sure.
If it's not lined up, you will most likely have to pull the rear wheel to line it up. Not that hard to do, but time consuming.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The u-joint end may not be in correct on the shaft. That's where I would start my search.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Hope it's something simple for you. Let us know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts