Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Glad the injuries weren't too serious. Hope you are up and about soon.

·
Registered
363 Posts
sorry to hear you were a victum of a driver not paying attention. did she get a ticket for failing to stop and causing an accadent? that will weigh more on the insurince to pay out for all the damage and pain she caused. do what you think is best for you but DO speak to a laywer , just to besure the insurance co. dosnt try to screw you over .
hope you feel better and heal with no complications

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Sue her in front of Judge Joe Brown. Bring all your pictures and police reports. Heck bring a copy of the days weather. I want to see how this all works out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Considering what could of happened you will live to ride again. I'm glad your okay and don't take a low ball offer from her insurance company, seek a good lawyer.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Not to repeat what everyone has already said but.... Glad you weren't injured any worse than you were!

I have no idea what Utah laws are, but I would think there's got to be some way to get any and all items damaged as a result of the accident replaced. Might also be some more $$'s you can get because of lost info on the laptop.

X1000 on getting a lawyer, and preferably one that knows motorcycle insurance cases.

Heal well and heal fast!!

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Holy Crow!! I'm so sorry.
Obviously it's great you are going to be fine. Your health is everything.
But the law exists to protect you in just this type of situation. She negligently broke it, injured you and destroyed your property as a result. Sue her ass and get what you have coming to you. It's only right. Heal fast!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
don't be too nice

i used to try and work things out with the other party, and got stiffed every time. no more... i'll call the police and demand a report be made, and then call a lawyer.

and if you are in utah like me, then you know who to call... that 'one call, thats all guy' ! in fact, i'll give you his number 800-404-9000.

the at-fault party should pay for everything.. laptop, clothes, helmet, bike, injury and even your mental anguish about getting back on a bike.

just yesterday i saw a girl in a big Escalade, talking on her phone, make a left turn right in front of another biker... it was close i thought, and she never ever stopped talking.

anyway.. hope your foot heals and doesn't give you trouble in the future. broken bones never seem to feel 100% after they heal.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
You have one of those guys too?
The one who takes on ALL insurance Companies!
Here where I live it's Max G. Arnold (MaxGArnold.com)
He has the whole back cover of the Phone book to make him easier to find.

YES........Call/Get a Lawyer!!!!

My wife got rear ended by a Little Ol' lady (because her purse was falling off the seat and she didn't see my wife was stopped making a left hand turn) & 2 of our boys was with her.

Anyway the Wife got Screwed over, around, & upside-down by the Lady's Insurance Co.

Totaled the car, A couple $1000.00 for X-rays ,scans, Etc. for the wife and kids. Plus what ever else............Grand total received...$1500.00

Next Time........"Hello, Mr. Arnold"

then call a lawyer.

and if you are in utah like me, then you know who to call... that 'one call, thats all guy' ! in fact, i'll give you his number 800-404-9000.

·
1995 Vulcan 750
20 Posts
Once again, like everyone else, I hope you feel better soon.

As someone who rides, but also has had his Volvo wagon rear ended by a crotch rocket doing a wheelie at 50 MPH, talk to the driver's insurance company. I wasn't getting anywhere with having my damage repaired until I politely told the biker's insurance company that I was going to sue them and the biker to recover more than just body damage to my car. They immediately settled and I received a check in two days.

Good luck.

Al

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
one of many

i bet everybodys got some good accident stories.. we should start a thread.

my wife was coming up to a yellow light... she stopped as it turned red... then got rear ended.

the police showed up.. and the guy that rear ended her actually had the nerve to tell the cop "..its not my fault, i thought she was going to run the light".... hahahahaha.... the cop didn't have any sympathy for the guys alibi and he ended up with a ticket and paying for our car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the support and advice

Wow thanks for all of the support guys. Sounds like getting a lawyer might be a good option.

Perhaps i'll sue the city as well. This was a brand new 4-way stop that was just put in, on a very busy road. They didn't put in any flashers or anything to warn the public about the new required stop. I just talked to a co-worker and he told me that they now have flashing lights on the stop signs at the intersection that I was hit at.

Also just spoke with the insurance adjuster, they're going to pay for replacements of the things that were damaged like my cellphone, laptop, and helmet.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Let me throw in my 2 cents worth, since my buddy (StevenJ) and I are both going thorugh this, but from different angles. First and foremost, glad to hear you are ok, by that I mean not dead, broken bones aside. As far as replacing things, I know that the other person's insurance is required to replace all riding gear, usually on a pro rated basis except the helmet which you should get 100% back on. As far as getting a lawyer, I won't say do or don't, I'll share with you 2 stories. My buddy StevenJ who used to be on here was in an accident last year in July/August (I posted about it). He immediately wnet the route of getting an injury attorney specializing in MC cases. To date he has not yet been compensated for anything, although his last doctor's appointment was in October or thereabouts. The case is still "ongoing" I guess.

On 3/12/09 I had a nice little crash myself (also posted here) resulting in a broken collarbone and broken ribs, totaled bike, yada yada. My insurance company took care of the bike and will recoup the $$ from the other party's insurance. I met with her adjuster a couple weeks after the accident and within 3 business days had a check for all the gear I was wearing. The personal injury part cannot be settled yet since I am still in the healing process. But I have made abundantly clear to the guy that as long as I am given a settlement appropriate to my level of suffering/loss of abilities/incapacitation/time off work then there won't be a need for a lawsuit. CA courts are clogged anyway, so who knows how long that would take. The only downside to not filing suit is that ther sia statute of limitations on how long after an incident you can file a suit. In CA it's 2 years - check with your insurance agent to see what the limit is in your state.

My point is that you always have options. You could get lucky and have an adjuster who gets their job done effectively and takes care of you. You could end up with an a$$ that's going to try to low ball you. You never know with **some** insurance companies. Keep your options open is all I'm saying. Just because they make you an offer doesn't mean you have to accept it. And make sure you keep every single receipt for anything related to the injury - doctor visits, pain meds, you name it.

Good luck and heal fast!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
So how fast was this gal going when she hit you? When I read the title, about getting grilled, I was sure your injuries were going to be a lot worse than they turned out to be. I `m sorry you had to have this experience, but glad you were not hurt worse than you are. I have broken both my ankles on separate occassions, about 2 1/2 years apart when I was in my early 40s. They took about 2 months to heal up so I could walk properly again. I hope you can heal up quickly too, and can repair or replace your bike and be out riding before I do. I`ve got at least 4 more months recovery, using this new ultrasound bone healing system on my leg.

Wishing you all the best. OlHoss

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The speed limit on that road is 25. She told the officer that she didn't even see the stop sign or know that there was one. She saw me and hit her brakes, but up until that point she was going at least 25. I estimated her speed at around 10-15. I was thrown about 10 feet from where the suv came to a stop. All of the cops/paramedics and dr's were amazed that I didn't have more injuries.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I understand that you may not care to take this woman to the cleaners (then again if someone did that to me I would) but make sure you're properly represented.

And that's my 2 cents,

R
remember though, you are not taking her to the cleaners, you are taking her insurance company. her rates will go up anyways no matter how bad they get cleaned it will only go up so much.

·
Registered
950 Posts
good point you dont sue the person, you sue the insurance company. You can actually sue your own insurance company. People have done that with homeowner insurance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Like the others, I'm very glad to hear that you're OK. It amazes me how inattentive many drivers are. When you're piloting a 2000+ pound piece of pseudo-steel down the road, it seems so one should devote one's attention to doing that instead of talking on one's cell phone or, especially, sending text messages like so many people do.

Even if the intersection is uncontrolled, the one party has the responsibility to yield the right of way to the party already in the intersection (which it sounds as though you were, since you're the one that got hit). Failure to notice a stop sign isn't an excuse.

--FA

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Like the others, I'm very glad to hear that you're OK. It amazes me how inattentive many drivers are. When you're piloting a 2000+ pound piece of pseudo-steel down the road, it seems so one should devote one's attention to doing that instead of talking on one's cell phone or, especially, sending text messages like so many people do.

Even if the intersection is uncontrolled, the one party has the responsibility to yield the right of way to the party already in the intersection (which it sounds as though you were, since you're the one that got hit). Failure to notice a stop sign isn't an excuse.

--FA
You are far too light in your estimation of weight of a SUV, it is more like #5-6000, not #2,000. We weighed my bro-in-law`s `77 Corvette many years ago and it was between #17-1800, with the fiberglass body. My 1974 Pontiac Astra, (same as a Chevy Vega) was #2300.

It is just a marvel that she wasn`t going any faster when you were hit captain. You must have had your guardian angel on your shoulder.:)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
In 1966 I special ordered & bought a 66 Dodge Coronet 426 Hemi the weight was 4,100# the price paid was $4,100, but of course there was more metal in them then...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts