Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got grilled by a car today...

Hey guys,

I got grilled by a car that ran a stop sign today. She didn't even slowdown or anything, she totally ran the stop sign. Remarkably I'm ok. A broken foot and some scrapes but nothing major. My bike on the other hand isn't so great. smashed up windshield, punctured radiator, bent handle bars, dented tank, broken pegs, and blinkers... the list goes on an on. On the plus side, I haven't bought the new v&h pipes that I wanted to get yet so at least that $$ wasn't wasted.

One question that I do have is does anyone know if the insurance company of the driver at fault will replace my helmet, leathers, and laptop which were smashed up in the crash? I'll send in some pics of my bike if I can get my wife to go and get some....

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash, that could have been so much worse, you're banged up but alive. Not sure about what the insurance would cover, never really thought about it, please post the answer, it'd be good info to stick in the back of my mind.

Glad to hear you're ok - lot's of Vulcan 750's out there for sale, get another with the V&H already installed....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey guys,
One question that I do have is does anyone know if the insurance company of the driver at fault will replace my helmet, leathers, and laptop which were smashed up in the crash? I'll send in some pics of my bike if I can get my wife to go and get some....
I have wondered the same. I ride with the laptop on occasion. Please post the answer. I hope it is favorable. But the most important thing is you live to ride another day!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hey, don't wonder, they will be glad to replace everything damaged in the crash if she was at fault, all you need to do is squeeeeezzzzzeee........lol...
Have a god one...Old Dog...

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Wow! So glad to know that you weren't hurt too badly. Insurance is supposed to pay restitution. All things broken fixed or replaced. If they try otherwise hire an attorney and they can pay for him too. I hope you heal quickly and fully.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Don't know the answer, but I'm glad you're (mostly) ok. T-boned by a car that was supposed to stop....Jeez.

Get better soon.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah insurance should cover all your kit. Anything safety equipment is covered by your insurance. Laptop should be though. your laptop would haven't been damaged if they hadn't hit you, and you have the right to transport things. totally get a lawyer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash, that could have been so much worse, you're banged up but alive. Not sure about what the insurance would cover, never really thought about it, please post the answer, it'd be good info to stick in the back of my mind.

Glad to hear you're ok - lot's of Vulcan 750's out there for sale, get another with the V&H already installed....
x2 from Cliff, get well, get your bike fixed or get another bike and get back to riding. best ofluck on your recovery.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. I'm pretty sure her insurance in this case will offer to pay for all of the repairs plus a settlement for pain and suffering right off the bat because you were injured. Be sure to hold out a little not to take advantage of them but see what they will start leveling off at. We all pay into insurance and they never like paying out. I know this for a fact as I was rear ended in my car with a passenger and I only asked for restitution for the vehicle. My passenger got almost $9k in pain and suffering without even needing to go to court and all they had was minor whiplash.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The insurance will pay for everything, if not just mention "Lawyer" and "Sue" :rockon:

They may "Total" the bike but you will have the option to buy it back. :smiley_th

Just glad to hear you were not severely injured, keep us posted. :beerchug:

·
Registered
950 Posts
he was injured, he said his foot was broke.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Glad you were not seriously injured too bad. Good luck getting everything settled and getting back on the road! :beerchug:

And I believe it's even National Motorcycle Awareness Month! Geez people, watch out for us out there! :doh:

·
Registered
668 Posts
OHHH Man!! i am glad you are "ok" and mainly alive !! I hope you will be back on your feet very soon man!

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
As one who has been on the wrong side of a law suit here's what I can tell you from my experience. Get your own lawyer. Don't rely on your insurance company or the lawyer they'll assign you. These guys get paid based on how quickly they get it settled not on how well they represent you. Go find a reputable laywer (I know, it's an oxymoron) and discuss your case. You've got nothing to loose and this guy has an interest in representing you properly because his commission is based on your compensation.

I understand that you may not care to take this woman to the cleaners (then again if someone did that to me I would) but make sure you're properly represented.

And that's my 2 cents,

R

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Glad things are not worse for you and you are in shape to talk to us ,Remember to watch out for yourself the insurance company will be just like the car that hit you ,not watching out for you,but themselves,Denny

·
Registered
491 Posts
Main thing is that you are not seriously hurt!!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Man. Sorry to hear about your foot! And your bike.

As far as compensation for accident, the theory is simple. She hurt you and smashed your stuff. She's completely at fault so she's responsible for making you whole.

The insurance may cover some or all of it, but she's on the hook, make no mistake.

Talk to a local lawyer - laws vary from state to state, so you want someone who can advise you propery. Make sure you get fee rates and so forth in advance.

Of course, if the insurance company makes you a deal you like, you might want to take it. But don't let them lowball you. You're owed a market value replacement (at least) for everything you owned that was broken. You'll be owed more for the injury and the pain it causes you. And still more if there are costs associated with that injury (like time lost at work.)

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Seebeeare should be chiming in soon to let you know the outcome of his incedent, I think his pillow still has some money in it. :smiley_th

·
2,528 Posts
The laptop would be more than likely covered under your homeowners policy. It would then be up to them to go after her if they felt the needed to. My wife is an insurance agent.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts