Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I are on the way back from our trip to Mt. Rushmore. We started last Friday from northern IL, went across Iowa for a while, then up into MN, then SD. Stopped at the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD, and of course made a stop at Wall Drug. On to the Badlands (awesome!) and then to Spearfish where we spent the night Sunday before heading out to see Devil's Tower in Wyoming. Went on some awesome roads to Keystone, then spent most of Tuesday at Mt. Rushmore. Today we rode Iron Mountain Highway and Needles Highway and saw the Crazy Horse Memorial. All very cool. The scenery in this part of the country is spectacular to say the least. Hope to be home sometime Saturday. It's been cold and hot, but very enjoyable! The Black Stallion will have 50,000 miles by the time I get home. So far, it's been flawless on this trip.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Sounds like a great trip.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Love South Dakota. I was born there as a matter of fact. Haven't been able to get back for a while but I plan to eventually take a nice long ride there myself. Dude if you have the chance you have to eat the buffalo burger. They are amazing!

Stay safe.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I lived just outside the Black Hills for 3 years. It's really great riding, and plenty to see. When things get rolling in Sturgis, though, the local riders pretty much leave the bike in the garage...

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Sounds awesome

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sweet pics! Was lucky enough to have one trip out west in a Van and pop up camper. What was most helpful in mapping your route. The hole in the rock road was pretty cool.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks to the Sturgis rally, Black Hills/Western SD ride maps are in high demand. The official rally site even has a few:

http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/travel-services/scenic-maps.php
Of course, having a local to show you around doesn't hurt. Helped me a bunch my first summer there.

I use a good old Rand McNally atlas to plan roads for long distance rides. Just look for squiggly 2-lanes that go the general direction you want to go. If you think you're lost, stop and look again (you probably need to pee anyway).

An old-timer I know says GPS has ruined modern riding, they miss the best roads. After all, it's not the destination, it's taking the ride!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
An old-timer I know says GPS has ruined modern riding, they miss the best roads. After all, it's not the destination, it's taking the ride!
Naw I disagree, my GPS gives me confidence to go different & farther, and if I get lost I can turn it on and just hit home, or get out of Dodge via the map feature, just my opinion... But if all you have is a map, and you have no idea where you are, then you don't even know for sure which way to go to get out or whatever... Of course I'm not an old timer, I'm in my 2nd childhood...lol...
PS-BTW for those that don't know my age, I'm 39 goin on 40, probably won't see 50. ...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use maps and the internet to figure out what roads I want to ride and what sites I want to see, then I plot the route into my GPS (Garmin Zumo 550). Sometimes I have to put in a lot of "waypoints" to make the GPS plot the route I want. Sometimes it still messes up, but I always seem to get where I want to go eventually.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Ok, so I know this thread is a week old, but..... Once I saw it was about South Dakota, I had to give my own shout out. I lived in Rapid City from the age of 2 til I was 13, and it really is beautiful in that part of the country. I always loved the Black Hills.

It sounds like you hit a lot of the good stuff - Keystone, the Needles Highway, etc. You mentioned Spearfish - did you get a chance to hit Spearfish Canyon? It is GORGEOUS, and have always thought it would be awesome to ride through on a bike.

I moved to Phx in '84, and have been back to SD a few times - most recently in 2009. Never gotten a chance to ride up there though, so I must say I am envious. Glad you had a good time : )

AZ Kev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts