Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this Saturday my wife had orchestra rehearsal the whole day, so I got to work on my bike! It was great bonding time. :motorcycl I patched up the nail in the rear tire, put K&N air filters in her, installed V&H cruzers, and.... checked the spline... theres the rub.
Right as I removed the final drive about a teaspoon of rust fell out along with metal shavings.... :(
I ended up cleaning and removing about two tablespoons of rust from the system. The teeth on the shaft were eaten down to stubs.... the final drive itself wasnt too bad. I replaced the o-ring and lubed them all up after cleaning them... ugh.. I bought her a couple months ago at 17k miles.. previous owners didnt do anything to her it seems :( man.... so since I cleaned her ad lubed her up, about how long do you all think I have on her until the shaft gives out completely? I have yet to save up the funds for a new final drive and shaft.....
Am a good for a little bit?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you are talking 'teeth eaten down to the studs' being the drive shaft coupler, you are best to replace it before you take the bike out riding again. It will only eat away at the rear diff input shaft. If the teeth on the input shaft are worn it would pay off to shop for another rear diff. Some folks here may have one for sell or check ebay. New is over a thousand bucks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
pinwall cycle parts on ebay they ship very fast and r cheap you can call there store in ohio too there number is on the site and in the book

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
the driveshaft and coupler are pictured there, but thats not the final drive. thats the rear bevel.

final drive connects to the rear wheel, and that is the part that gets worn when lubrication is missing at the junction between coupler and the final drive

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you are talking 'teeth eaten down to the studs' being the drive shaft coupler, you are best to replace it before you take the bike out riding again. It will only eat away at the rear diff input shaft. If the teeth on the input shaft are worn it would pay off to shop for another rear diff. Some folks here may have one for sell or check ebay. New is over a thousand bucks!
We witnessed what happens when one of these fails! You spend a few hours beside of the road and watch some one have to go home by trailer or in this case,a uhaul truck rental. Post up in the sell or trade section and some one on here may save you some money and a haul bill as well ! I mean a lot of money, eBay may be a good place to look and although Those pictures are showing half of what you need. Pinwall is a good bunch to deal with, I've bought from them several times.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Got my new tires from Pinwall and I've seen some good deals on used parts from them.

As far as Ebay goes, if you're not in a hurry, it can pay to wait and watch. Have seen shafts and final drives go through there at $20-25. Scored many great deals on Ebay myself.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I paid the extra 99 bucks for AAA motorcycle. I got a tow home in January and it turned out to be the negative bolt on the battery was loose :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
We witnessed what happens when one of these fails
I still can't figure out how that thang held up for the first 40 miles that morning just to come apart at a steady 70 mph. It was loud enough I heard it over my loud azz pipes and he was 70-80 ft in front of me.

Cold feeling when you're a few hundred miles from home. We'll have to try it again Spencer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts