Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a voltmeter and mounting cup off E-Bay.

Been looking for a while but this is the closest to an OEM look for our gauges that I've seen. Auto Meter 2592. 2-1/16" , 8-18V. Even comes with a green cover for the lightbulb to match the lighting. :smiley_th Paid $30 + shipping

The pedestal mounting cup is chrome-plated plastic but looks sharp. Auto Meter 2203. Paid $28 shipped.

Have not installed yet, but thought I'd share the info and see if anyone else is satisfied with the look/performance.

See attached photos.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
When I mounted mine I put a little silicon underneath to stop any water from getting down into the bikes housing. One single screw holding it down. I have no complaints.

I painted the facia trim to match my guages.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
When I mounted mine I put a little silicon underneath to stop any water from getting down into the bikes housing. One single screw holding it down. I have no complaints.

I painted the facia trim to match my guages.

That's a very nice set up there.

Jon

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Picked up my volt gauge cheap through tractorsupply.com, bought the mount at Pepboys and Lance made the cup. THANKS LANCE! :smiley_th He wired it up through the headlight bucket. Works great.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same thing I put on,

Except my buddy pretty much runs Autometer world headquarters here in Sycamore, IL. He specially waterproofed mine for me :)

·
Registered
736 Posts

I used an older voltmeter (just liked the color coding on the gauge face) and ran into one issue; the needle would stick in warm weather. I'm pretty sure that the inner workings of the meter are old mechanical style and the cup (made for the gauge by the same manufacturer) was 'pinching' the gauge housing a little too much. I kept moving the cup retaining ring back little by little to find a sweet spot. I'm not sure if this would happen to a newer gauge which probably has electronic inner workings. Anyone else run into this with a newer analog gauge?

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts

I used an older voltmeter (just liked the color coding on the gauge face) and ran into one issue; the needle would stick in warm weather. I'm pretty sure that the inner workings of the meter are old mechanical style and the cup (made for the gauge by the same manufacturer) was 'pinching' the gauge housing a little too much. I kept moving the cup retaining ring back little by little to find a sweet spot. I'm not sure if this would happen to a newer gauge which probably has electronic inner workings. Anyone else run into this with a newer analog gauge?
That looks a lot better than I thought it would. I just bought the Kuryakin LED gauge, but haven't installed it, yet. Now I wonder if I should swap it for one like yours.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Where did you hook up the wires to Battery, junction box? and how did you get the light to work? but it looks very sharp

·
Registered
736 Posts
That looks a lot better than I thought it would. I just bought the Kuryakin LED gauge, but haven't installed it, yet. Now I wonder if I should swap it for one like yours.
Don't give up on the Kuryakin LED gauge. I've seen it highly recommended on this forum for function, ease of installation and accuracy. I just like the analog look better to match the existing gauges, a personal preference.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Where did you hook up the wires to Battery, junction box? and how did you get the light to work? but it looks very sharp
I would like to stress that this is an older mechanical analog gauge and a bit finicky with its installation requirements.

First, I used a green Sharpy marker to tint the bulb to match the existing clear bulb to the VN750 gauge color (3 coats matches perfectly). Second, I connected the meter to my grip heater rely circuit http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Heated_Grips/heated_grips.html. A note that the meter does fluctuate (I have a Heat Troller) when the grip heaters are on.

The gauge bulb is wired to the license plate power (also used for the activation relay circuit for the grip heaters). I tried to wire the bulb in the same circuit as the the gauge, but apparently the voltage drop across the circuit effected the gauge reading (the voltmeter is an old mechanical type, sensitive to current).

Again, not sure if these installation issues happen with newer electronic based analog gauges.

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I used an older voltmeter (just liked the color coding on the gauge face)
Cg - That's a great one as well. The color coding is really nice as a quick glance tells you where you need the voltage to be. Couldn't find one like that (or many with a red needle for that matter) so you lucked out. Great look. :beerchug:

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same thing I put on,

Except my buddy pretty much runs Autometer world headquarters here in Sycamore, IL. He specially waterproofed mine for me :)
I was wondering about that. Any suggestions on how to best do that?

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was wondering about that. Any suggestions on how to best do that?
I don't know how he did it. He custom designed and sealed it by hand for me. He's worked from floor now to management so I get some sweet hookups. I run nothing but AutoMeter gauges in all my cars, and now on my bike as well :)

I believe they seal it from the inside somehow.

Here's some pics. It was a PITA to install. But looks perfect!

Gauge

Reverse flat mounted screws underside because it barrrrrrrrrrrrrrellllly fit. Sealed with silicone to waterproof it.

Mounted top ready to gauge

Almost connected

Chrome baby bling bling

Finished!

View from the front

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Acid! The pics are always welcome!

I'm thinking of running a THIN bead of clear silicone (or even superglue as it's waterproof) around the face of the meter and then another thin silicone bead or thin o-ring between meter and cup to seal the meter itself.

Really don't want to drill idot light case so will try double sticky foam squares and/or velcro to secure pedestal to the top of the case. Meter is heavy but a couple square inches of velco holds pretty strong. Only concern there is hot temps in summer when glue softens so still mulling it over. Would like to do the job once and forget about it.

Thanks again for the pics, really looks great on your bike! Also gives me food for thought....

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you need more pics, I've got LOTS on my facebook. or hit me up for help :)

Yeah, forget the velcro idea, you'll regret it.

The important thing to note, that I didn't show, is that most of those gauge covers have a bare spot in the back, covered by a rubberish gromet(sp) as well as a longggggggg hole underneath for when you clamp the pod down to tighten the sides together to hold the gauge.

I sealed up both with clear silicone (best I could) after the install, to keep water out of the pod itself. The gauge itself my friend sealed, and they make competition, world wide gauges. I'm sure many know the name AutoMeter. So if they don't water proof them unless custom, don't count on a cheaper one to be water proofed. AutoMeter gauges aren't cheap. SunPro's are cheap knock-offs.

I asked him, he says they have a special machine for water sealing them and they are NOT water sealed unless custom made or made for a waterish type of application.

Like I said, I lucked out. He color matched the outside bevel, as well as the face of the gauge and back lighting too. It's not enough, so we're going to toss a green LED (that they specially have too) into it that should help as I can't see it unless it's PITCH black outside.

·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you need more pics, I've got LOTS on my facebook. or hit me up for help :)

Yeah, forget the velcro idea, you'll regret it.

The important thing to note, that I didn't show, is that most of those gauge covers have a bare spot in the back, covered by a rubberish gromet(sp) as well as a longggggggg hole underneath for when you clamp the pod down to tighten the sides together to hold the gauge.

I sealed up both with clear silicone (best I could) after the install, to keep water out of the pod itself. The gauge itself my friend sealed, and they make competition, world wide gauges. I'm sure many know the name AutoMeter. So if they don't water proof them unless custom, don't count on a cheaper one to be water proofed. AutoMeter gauges aren't cheap. SunPro's are cheap knock-offs.

I asked him, he says they have a special machine for water sealing them and they are NOT water sealed unless custom made or made for a waterish type of application.

Like I said, I lucked out. He color matched the outside bevel, as well as the face of the gauge and back lighting too. It's not enough, so we're going to toss a green LED (that they specially have too) into it that should help as I can't see it unless it's PITCH black outside.
Thanks for the extra info. Knew I would have to waterproof both case and meter but didn't realize the extent or that the lighting was inadequate, that's a bummer. Wonder if there's any way to find a brighter bulb that would fit in there. I'll check it out after I install and go from there. Thanks again Acid.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Like I said, Autometer makes a special LED that replaces the standard "condom" bulb as I call it, white bulb with green condom over it.

LED is much truer and brighter, I've replaced several stock bulbs in my car, like radio and controls for hvac with their smaller versions, fit right in with blue, and match my Autometer Cobalts perfect! Just gatta do a dash blue led swap now, but they're the TINY soldered led's so it's super hard.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts