Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tired of that 'rattle can' sound every time you start in the morning? Chain slap got you down? Don't want to shell out for MCCT's? TRY greasing the ACCT threads, it really works, costs about $5 in grease and some very colorful words from your garage.

Here it is:

Remove the ACCT should look like this. If it doesn't put it back on, you removed the wrong part =-)

Once you get it on your workbench, hold it like this so the dam thing doesn't pop apart on you. Remove the clip to take it apart: it's the only thing holding it together.

This is how it come apart:

The threads are the grease point. I put a lot on because by the time you are done re-assembling, some will be wiped off during the process. I use a popsicle stick to spread the Red N Tacky.

A GREASED ACCT ready to re-assemble and install on your bike. This is the FUN part: getting it back together with slick fingers. It's not hard, just tricky. If you are lucky, you'll get it after a few tries. Others that have done this report that a second set of hands (dry) make this a lot easier.

MANY thanks to tilak for the ACCT to take these pictures and to 750Doug for testing this process to see if this really works - and it does -

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Nice write up. I'm sure that'll help a lot of people. No if only someone would buy my 2 ACCTs that are still lying around....

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Great write up! I will give it a shot soon. One question- where are the instructions for reassembly?

Oh yeah..can I use Honda Moly on the threads (the same stuff I used on the splines?)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice work DT.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Everyone

Great write up! I will give it a shot soon. One question- where are the instructions for reassembly?

Oh yeah..can I use Honda Moly on the threads (the same stuff I used on the splines?)
I didn't include reassembly because there are several sites and verses concerning the ACCT. Thanks again Doug for pointing folks there.

I looked at my Honda Moly to give it a try, but decided Red N Tacky may stay put better and not wash off? Not sure about that, but the price difference - $4.99 for a full size cartridge for Red vs. $$$ for a small tube of Honda moly that I'm saving for my splines made my mind up. The Red N Tacky did seem to be slicker between my fingers than the Moly. If you've never used it, it is gooey and sticky like soft wax with thick honey mixed in.

Now I gotta try moly, you got my interest up.

Thanks all,

DT

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Didn't mean to conplicate things, DT :doh:

Again, thanks for the reminder how easy it is to do. I have been putting it off for fear of complication.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Grease and Hot Engine Question?

Sounds good, and I think I will might try it on the rear ACCT after I put the front ACCT on that I just purchased - :doh:

But I do have a question, and please keep in mind I learn to fix my vehicals as I go - I am not a true mechanic...

When the engine gets hot won't the grease melt away?
Do we have to use a high temperature grease, or will any grease work?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The front ACCT seems to suffer more from the adjustment problem than the rear. The rear gets more oil flow from the engine due to its position. The forward ACCT doesn't get much oil at all and that is the one most people are either greasing or using the TOC spring on. Because the forward ACCT doesn't get much oil, there is little chance of the grease being "washed" out.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A:

Sounds good, and I think I will might try it on the rear ACCT after I put the front ACCT on that I just purchased - :doh:

But I do have a question, and please keep in mind I learn to fix my vehicals as I go - I am not a true mechanic...

When the engine gets hot won't the grease melt away?
Do we have to use a high temperature grease, or will any grease work?

Thanks...
The rear won't have this problem as it's angled down. I had the same concern with the grease melting, but it hasn't been a problem with my vn. I'm going to try Honda Moly this week and report back to everyone. Perhaps a good choice would be HiTemp synthetic disk brake grease - that stuff is tough.

DT

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
DT, are you re-greasing yours with a different lube because you need to, or want to?

Mine still sounds quiet as when I did it a few hundred miles ago. (I'd have to look in the garage in my book for the exact mileage.)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The rear won't have this problem as it's angled down. I had the same concern with the grease melting, but it hasn't been a problem with my vn. I'm going to try Honda Moly this week and report back to everyone. Perhaps a good choice would be HiTemp synthetic disk brake grease - that stuff is tough.

DT
I don`t think you have to worry too much about the grease melting out of the ACCT. I saw a demo many years ago where a couple of different brands of grease were heated to about 600* F and did not melt. The ACCT does not come close to that temperature.

Does the *Red and Tacky* grease have molybdenum disulphide (MOS2) in the formulation? I believe that any moly (MOS2) can be actually worked into the steel a couple of atoms below the surface through the application of heat and motion. The conditioned surface then continues to be very slippery even if the grease is squeezed out or washed off somehow.

When the time comes that I need to do my ACCT, I will clamp the threaded piece with grease on it, threads up and exposed, in a vise with soft jaws. Then with a foot long piece of narrow leather thong or bootlace looped around the bolt threads, and holding one end in each hand, work the lace back and forth around the threads and up and down the length of them as well. The friction generated heat and movement of the lace should distribute and work in the grease to the maximum possible. Maybe it`s over kill, but it only takes a minute.

Then take the threaded adjustment tube and put a bit more grease in it, and screw the two pieces together. Continue to screw the pieces on and off several times until I do not feel it getting any smoother. Then reassemble as illustrated.

Another thing I noticed on the video that KM posted of the Acct rebuild. The guy doing the rebuild, bent the projecting piece on the new TOC spring a bit into a slight C shape. I believe this was to make it easier to keep it in the slot during reassembly. Has anyone else tried this, and does it help?

·
Registered
707 Posts
quick question... i wont get the chance to try this till i pack mine away but should i be concerned about oil??? does it need to be drained or does it sit low enough when its off to not leak out?

·
Registered
78 Posts
oil dripping...

As far as the front ACCT goes you shouldn't get any oil leaking to be concerned about. However, the rear ACCT will leak a little oil so you will want some paper towels or something on hand. The rear doesn't leak much and you shouldn't have to drain the oil to remove it and work on it. Just want something on hand to wipe of the little bit of oil that initially comes out.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Like was stated, the rear one won't leak much oil. Until you turn it down. Not gonna be like the Valdez, but it will leak about 1 or 2 ounces out. Definitely don't do this while your walking through the house. ;)

·
Former MoPegan
25 Posts
Where is the ACCT located on the engine?

Got the same issue but don't know where the ACCT is located.. Can anyone post a pic PLEASE!!!! I'm looking at all teh great info and the part then I'm staring at my motor and I'm sure it would jump out and bite me.. :doh:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still quiet

DT, are you re-greasing yours with a different lube because you need to, or want to?

Mine still sounds quiet as when I did it a few hundred miles ago. (I'd have to look in the garage in my book for the exact mileage.)
I'm trial and testing the donated ACCT for the good of the group. This problem interests me and I'd like to test other greases/methods to cure the problem of ACCT noise.

How about teflon coating the threads?

A correctly adjusted cam chain makes our engines quiet and run better. IMHO the ACCT is better than MCCT for us because if it's working correctly, it will make slight adjustments on the fly. All the sport bike/dirt track racers I know have switched to MCCT, but they tweak their rides all the time (I know that a racing engine is pushed way harder than most of us ride) I just want to get on and ride!

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
As far as the moly grease goes, That's what I used on mine when I put the engine in. Only because that is what I had lying around. Sorry to say I can't vouch for longevity but the few times I have started the beast there hasn't been any noise from the cam chains, plenty from the open exhaust but none from the chains. I will keep posted next riding season on what happens.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts